Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What home studio equip to buy next?

Darcity

I have an E4XT ULTRA and a D-550. I've been doing all of my sequencing and even vocals on my sampler. You wouldn't believe what I've accomplished with this duo(It's amazing what you can do with a limited budget). Now I've finally got a budget of $10,000 that I need to make count (I get one time with my wife sometimes two). I know I want to get Emagic Logic Audio Platium(PC), AKG C414BTLII, but draw a blank for everything else. Any suggestions?
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The style of music that I produce is inspirational , contemporary gospel, music for churches(theme songs, tv & radio broadcasts)
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

It is hard to suggest anything without knowing how your are using your current tools. If I were in your position I would ask myself two general questions:

1) With your current setup, what are the constraints that most irked you in doing what you are doing, and

2) What new capabilities do you want to develop with the $10K that you don't currently have?

Some specific thoughts:

1) You haven't described having any sample or Rom content. You could go a couple of different routes. Should you get some orchestral / instrument CDs for the EMU, or a rompler synth?

2) Something else you haven't mentioned is your processsing gear. Will you need a new outboard pre-amp/compressor arrangement to go with the mic?

3) What about hardware for going in and out of the PC? Will you need a better MIDI port, if you add modules or efx processors?

4) What about distribution (burning cd's encoding, labelling, Dat masters etc.)

I would add the pieces slowly, whatever they are.

I am sorry it turned into a laundry list. I hope it helps,

Jerry

Some more questions to ponder:

What are your mixing requirements (inputs, routing, automation)? Are you likely to record several instruments at once (live), or do you do everything one track at a time? Do you want to record E-4 instruments to tape or disk, or will these tracks play back virtually, in sync with the recorded tracks? What instruments will you have to sync together? Do you need multi-track recording capability? What is your mixdown format (CD, DAT, cassette)?

At a minimum, you'll probably need:

1) An audio card to get tracks in an out of Logic.

2) A mixer to help you route, mix, and/or monitor these signals. It should have phantom power, if you want to plug your mic into it, unless you can afford a separate mic preamp, a luxury on your budget.

3) A compressor or two (or a stereo unit).

4) A reverb / multi-effects processor (the Lexicon MPX-500 might be a good choice).

5) A CD-R drive for copies of mixes and for backup of audio files. You may also need a separate hard drive for recording audio. This may require a SCSI adapter card for the PC.

6) A MIDI interface.

7) A really good set of monitors, and if they're not powered, an amp to drive them. DON'T SKIMP HERE. It's your reality check.

I can't recommend specific products, but Jerry and Dan make some very good points. If I were in your shoes, I'd get a screamin' fast PC with a CD-RW drive, so as to be able to burn my own CDs and do data backup. A good wave editor (there are several for Windows) will burn CDs and perform various other necessary tasks.

Don't buy a PC until after you check with the software manufacturer to insure compatibility. Sales people at consumer-oriented computer stores generally have no idea what will work for music production, so don't let anybody tell you "oh, this is even better." Get what the software manufacturer recommends.

Based on your current setup, I doubt you'll need a huge multichannel audio or multiport MIDI interface for the PC, nor a huge audio mixer. A 12-channel mixer, a 4-in, 4-out audio interface, and a 2-in, 2-out MIDI interface should be plenty.

Rather than a hardware reverb, you might want to look at some VST plug-ins.

Either an analog-style synth (Supernova, Virus, Nord Lead, etc.) or a good sample-playback synth (Korg Triton, Yamaha CS6x, Roland JV-2080) would add a lot to your palette. In the former category, there are now some interesting options available as software, for much less $$$. And leave enough in the budget for a few new sampling CDs!

--Jim Aikin

Archived