Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Matrix 1000 and PhatBoy

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am afraid this will not work. Maybe on some programs, and on some parameters, but that would be a lucky shot. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Access (From the Virus) produces a dedicated Matrix programmer. I do not know if it is still produced, or available.

Emagic Sounddiver (universal editor for Mac & W'98) has a module for the Matrix.

------------------

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

I have a feeling that your best bet will be to route all the phat boy parameters through something like Logic's environment and have them be remapped to sysex controls, either through a matrix 1000 environment or through SoundDiver. The reason why you'd have to do this is because the phatboy sends only Midi control change parameters, and the matrix 1000 wasn't made to be edited by those. In fact, only the first 200 patches on the matrix are editable, since they are the only ones in RAM. Although I'm not sure whether that means the upper patches can't be played around with at least..

If you can get an old Access programmer that would be ideal, but I remember them being rather expensive ($500-600). There's no notice of them on the Access website, but you could try emailing them.

Otherwise, there are two choices to edit the Matrix without a computer around, though unfortunately neither have knobs. The simplest is to buy a Matrix 6 or 6-r, the editable cousin of the 1000. With this, not only could you edit the patches, but you could even set up matrix modulations that would allow a midi parameter from the phatboy (such as foot controller or mod wheel) to modulate certain parts of the patch, such as the filter. I've done this a lot on my matrix 6, and while it only gives you 3 or 4 midi controllable parameters unlike a modern module like a Proteus, it's still useful.

The other thing is to get a fader box such as an old Lexicon MRC or a Peavey PC1600X, which I think is still sold new. These can send sysex chains in addition to midi control change messages, but I'm not sure whether they have matrix templates or if you'd have to program it. I think the last time I looked at a used MRC it had a Matrix template on it, but I'm not sure.

So, that's the story.. the PhatBoy was really designed for use with a roland sound canvas or a Yamaha MU series synth, and it takes advantage of certain things built into the General Midi spec, which is worlds away from the matrix. I wish you luck, though, since I've thought a bit about this myself but never put any of it into action.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived