Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap sampler?

Im looking to buy a cheap sampler, used of course. I have heard things about the akai s2000 sampler... for something like 300 bucks it does a pretty good job. Are there any other good old samplers that are still usable? I know that fatboy slim uses one! s900 and thats it... I guess old things are fine eh?

Dave

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by copacapri@pacbell.net:

If you are still in need for a cheap sampler. I have three for sale.

Akai S900

Akai S900

EMU E64

E-me:copacapri@pacbell.net

Hi copacapri,

How much do you want to sell the Akai for?

e-mail:smokinking@yahoo.com

Thanks!

This message has been edited by Learner on 07-14-2001 at 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Anderton:

HAve you considered a software-based sampler and running it on a laptop?

What would be involved in setting that up?

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

<

There are a lot of software samplers, probably the best known are the Gigasampler and BitHeadz Unity DS-1. However, Emagic makes a killer sampler that works within Logic, and Steinberg's Halion is just starting to ship. Creamware makes a product called the PowerSampler, which is an excellent choice as it uses a hardware card and has virtually no latency, but good luck putting the card in a laptop .

Basically the deal is you run the software on your computer, which also needs a MIDI interface so you can plug a MIDI keyboard into it and play the samples. A fast computer and good sound card drivers are important to minimize latency (i.e., a delay between hitting the note on your keyboard to when you actually hear it).

Most software samplers need huge amounts of RAM because that's where all your samples are stored. Gigasampler streams large samples directly from your hard drive, but still needs a lot of RAM to "pre-store" sounds. This is what accounts for the extremely low latency and excellent responsiveness.

As you store your samples on a hard drive (internal or external), cataloguing, indexing, and find functions work fabulously well.

I have thought about going the software way and It sounds very nice but I need the sampler for playing live not in the studio. A computer would not be the best of things to take on tour with. Also I only have about 1000 bucks max to spend and a computer does not fit in there nicely... I was thinking about the bottom line e-mu e5000 because it is cheap and expandible all the way up to the e4xt... any thoughts?

Archived