Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Dynamics

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to upgrade all of my processors this year. All of my Alesis processors were sold on EBAY. The 3630 and Nano comp are, IMO still stuck in 1989 'project studios'. I found that Alesis sound modules in general are very dated. I always had a tough time getting any good compression from the 3630, Always a fight and It always seemed to kill a great tone.They don't have very sensitive dynamics. (Please don't pipe up and tell me I wasn't using it right). That is based on my experience. The Midiverbs are noisy for the most part (particularly the Quadraverb) I think the SR-16 is a sad joke except for a couple of killer kick drum sounds. The DM-Pro is the best Alesis module IMO. The DM4 and DM5 were both very dated sounding to me as well.

I did buy a Masterlink this year and I absolutely love it, I don't what I was doing before it and I can say that it was one of the coolest machines I bought this year and one of most valued in my home studio.

The UP SIDE to ALESIS.. They are CHEAP. Good Bang for the buck. The Nano comps are $49.00 3630's are $99.00, SR-16 $129.00, Midiverbs on EBAY go for $50.00-$250.00. I picked up a pair of MKII Active monitors for $400.00 a couple of months ago. I don't regret any Alesis processors that I have purchased in the past, I remember when they were king of the hill. I have simply found other gear that I would rather use.

Cheers

<>

It's important to remember that the gear being discussed is ancient by today's standards. At the time, they were amazingly cost-effective; the SR-16 used -- gasp!! -- 16-bit drum sounds instead of the 12-bit types that were the norm. Likewise, the 3630 was the first really cheapo compressor that could actually be used in a musical context. I wouldn't say it was killer, but it was functional and normal humanoid bipeds could afford it.

Nowadays, I think you're much better off with the RNC from FMR Audio. For under $200, it's a killer compressor that works fabulously well with program material as well as individual tracks.

If you get an SR-16, put it through distortion followed by ring modulator, that'll give it a nose ring and a few tattoos...

Archived