Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LatinMusic:

I want to know what do you think about:

1 AKG C1000S

2 AKG C2000S

3 AKG C3000B

All 3 are considered "inexpensive" condenser mics.

The C-1000 is good for acoustic guitar, (I use 2, in an X-Y set-up, for stereo). The C-2000 I demo'd, I did not think was all that great sounding -IMO. The C-3000, I have 2 of them, 1 old & 1 new, (I think version 2 sounds better than ver. 1 ), I'm using the 3000's as room mics now, & I'll sometimes haul them out with a pre-amp & CDRW for live stereo recordings at bars/clubs.

If you are on a budget, the 1000's & 3000's will do the job.

-Hippie

In two days, it won't matter.

What I generally like about all AKG products: consistency & reliability, they have a very tight quality control and they make ALL components in-house! Therefore it is often possible to get matched-pair performance out of any 2 AKG's of same model.

Personal opinions on the 3 mikes you mentioned:

C1000S: I don't like this one at all. Sounds like breaking glass, too harsh and un-natural for my taste. There are many better alternatives available for equal amounts of money, either get yourself a Crown 700 or look around and you'll probably find a used SM-81 or Calrec 1050C in good condition. Or just buy 2 more SM-57's...

C2000B: For the money quite good, way better than C1000S IMHO. I have only tried it for a few weeks but was very pleased using this one to record distorted electric gtr played through a Marshall amp with a 412. Not-half bad on percussion either. The diaphragm seems to be sized somewhere between small and large.

C3000B: This is a very useful microphone. I have used it on a number of different instruments and voices, mostly with good to very good results. Not always my first pick but still a very good inexpensive complement to higher-end microphones.

The 2000B and 3000B comes with cardboard boxes only but included in the package is a good shockmount that also can be used on many other microphones.

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I'll second the 3000......I bought one when Musician's Friend put out a mega sale.....pretty useful, kinda utilitarian....suits alot of apps.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I own a 3000B. I use it on female vocals and acoustic guitars, anything that tends to be bright or brassy. Should also work very well on trumpets. I do not like it on male voices as the big suck-out at 2K makes men's voices sound dull and lifeless.

At a street price of about $300 it has it's place in everyones mic cabinet. Also note that with it's larger diaphram it tends to pick up more ambient noise than a hend held mic.

I have used an inexpensive CAD 95 (condenser) on my voice with great success. I think it even sound slightly better than my EV 757 or Shure SM 58/57's. They were on Sale at Sam Ash for albout $109 for 2 last month. A great price.

Good luck. Remember only the sound matters, not how or what you use to get there.

------------------

Jim T.

Jim T.

if i could back,i'd never buy a c1000 again. no good response on transients.

makes the cymbals on the drumkit sound dead. if u try it on vocals you'll

instantly understand why it doesn't work:it's boomy.it sounds nothing like

a condenser.

AKG hasn't made a decent microphone in like 20+ years. If you're in the 'Guitar-Mart' price range for microphones...check out some of the Chinese crap. I found one ADK that didn't make me want to hurl [it was a black cardioid only thing], and have heard that the 'Studio Projects' stuff wasn't too rancid [haven't tried them yet, but have heard 'it's not too terrible' kinda things from people I respect] even though the look of the thing was shamelessly ripped from 'Brauner'.

My advice would be to find a place that will let you demo these things in your own studio, find what's right for your purposes, then return the ones that aren't right. If you can't find such a place you're kinda screwed...but if you can, you're in good shape.

Good luck...sounds like you're gonna need lots of it.

------------------

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

http://www.mercenary.com

Fletcher

Mercenary Audio

Roscoe Ambel once said:

Pro-Tools is to audio what fluorescent is to light

Originally posted by carne_de_res:

if i could back,i'd never buy a c1000 again. no good response on transients.

makes the cymbals on the drumkit sound dead. if u try it on vocals you'll

instantly understand why it doesn't work:it's boomy.it sounds nothing like

a condenser.

Agreed, but the C1000 also grabs that Marshall 4/12 sound!!!!!!!

Try shoving one in a bass drum!!!!!!!

i like the sound of my C1000s. i like it a lot on my (male) vocals...i guess i have a thin voice, because my crown CM700 sounds too bright.

i use the CM700 on acoustic guitar and as a drum overhead. i wouldn't use the C1000s for cymbals, but maybe toms or snare. i haven't tried it for toms or snare, so we shall see.

i have used the C3000b as a drum overhead. it sounds great, though i'd probably use teh C1000s over the C3000b for my vocals. i got a good sound from the C3000b, though, too.

have never used the C2000b.

Archived