Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

some questions(please)

1 do you know some site eith free things (wav, vst plug in, etc...)?

2. If I am a single person whit a single keyboard, do i need midi? for what?

3. If I am a single person whit a single keyboard, do I need a mixer? for what?

Rebuilding My Self

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 do you know some site eith free things (wav, vst plug in, etc...)?

Give this site a try: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/

2. If I am a single person whit a single keyboard, do i need midi? for what?

It would be really handy if you wanted to use a computer based sequencer.

3. If I am a single person whit a single keyboard, do I need a mixer? for what?

It may help you interface the keyboard with other audio equipment better. If it has EQ, you can do some tone shaping too.

-Danny

------------------

Of all the things that I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

I know midi is useful in computer based sequencer but FOR WHAT?... I insist, if i am a single person recording with the sounds of a single key board(digital audio)... for what would i want midi? for do waht?
Rebuilding My Self

Think of MIDI as a way to convert your keyboard into a player piano. But instead of punching a bunch of holes in a paper roll then having those holes trigger the keys, as you play, the keyboard generates data using the MIDI computer language. This data goes into computer memory, which is like the paper roll except you're "punching" data into the memory. You can then tell the computer to play back the data exactly as it was received, which re-creates your performance.

I think you would find my book "MIDI for Musicians" very helpful. Also, there is a Spanish language book called "Descubriendo MIDI" by "Chilitos" Valenzuela that is excellent.

LatinMusic,

> I know midi is useful in computer based sequencer but FOR WHAT?... I insist, if i am a single person recording with the sounds of a single key board(digital audio)... for what would i want midi? for do waht? <

As Craig said, using MIDI lets you create the performance again later, as opposed to recording the audio from your synths now. There are two big advantages to using MIDI this way:

1. You can easily edit the MIDI data afterward to fix a few wrong notes in an otherwise perfect performance.

1a. Related to that, you can slow down the sequencer while recording to play a very fast part more accurately. If you do that with audio tracks the sound quality is affected. With MIDI the sound stays the same.

2. The data files on your computer are much smaller than the equivalent audio tracks would be. Once you're all done you can record the entire performance as a single audio file for burning to a CD. As opposed to every track creating a large Wave file.

--Ethan

Latin,

1. No free sites, sorry.

2. Midi. First off, you can bring or send via internet, email, and floppy disk/Zip/etc. your files to co-writers (perhaps in the future) or consumers.

Secondly, you can take advantage of realtime controls, while retaining the ability, as with notes, to adjust without losing audio quality. As stated before, this takes far less CPU than comp. audio, because audio files are big and most of the computing is being done offline in your keyboard. Very often you can create realtime automation for onboard efx in the keyboard, which might have to be static (unchanging) otherwise, within a song.

Finally, How about sound creation? It's not only easier to alter sounds from computer interfaces (unless you own a retro-synth with all the knobs front and center!) you can save the settings in a virtually unlimited database, as opposed to the finite databanks of the synth. How about software updates or sound parameter downloads from the Mnfr. site and other sources? Can't load 'em if you can't communicate. Nuff said. Get Craig's or someone else's midi handbook and it'll all become clear.

3. With a mixer you can add other sound sources without changing your keyboard settings. You want to sample a record. Plug an SL1200, etc. into another stereo channel. You want more than one mic? Pretty much ANY decent mixer comes with two or more mic pre's, even at the prosumer level. God forbid you invite someone to bring THEIR sound creation (musical instrument, turntable, sampler) to your home to record, you have a place to plug in. It really sucks trying to solve these dilemmas without a mixer.

Good Luck,

Neil

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Do you need MIDI? That depends on what you want to do. If you want to play your keyboard all by yourself, no. If you want to play it in a band, no.

But if you want to record many parts, more parts than you can play alone, then MIDI is very useful.

Try to learn as much as you can before you buy new equipment. Talk to other musicians who are using MIDI. That is the best way to learn about MIDI and to decide whether it is right for you.

A mixer is helpful if you want to record music. It also helps you if you have two or more keyboards.

This message has been edited by dansouth@yahoo.com on 06-11-2001 at 02:14 AM

Let me see if I understood(i got hat the mixer is need for... THANKS). I make all the tracks in midi... when i am sure that the track is like i want it, then i pass it as audio track??????

I think midi will be useful to me specially for drum programming...

Rebuilding My Self

Originally posted by LatinMusic:

Let me see if I understood(i got hat the mixer is need for... THANKS). I make all the tracks in midi... when i am sure that the track is like i want it, then i pass it as audio track??????

I think midi will be useful to me specially for drum programming...

Yes. Either when you've programmed or played every key track correctly, you record it to either:

• A stereo track in the computer multi-track, or

• don't record the keys until you finish the vocal or other live tracks. (you can synchronize the midi info to the recorded takes. Once you complete the live tracks you can mix down to a two track master, including the midi run keyboard tracks. This way, you never record the keys until mixdown, saving processor and hard drive space.

Does this answer your question?

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived