Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is and what creates DC offset?

I mixed down a song today in Cubase 5 and when I analyzed it in Wavelab there was DC offset. It was also a different percentage for each channel? What causes this to happen? And what's the best remedy? I had Wavelab eliminate the DC offset but I heard no noticable change. Is it so bad after all?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a comprehensive article in EQ recently on DC offset, I think it may have been the January issue...but it was recent. I can´t give you the exact date because I´m in Frankfurt now (guten tag, alles!) but I get back on Tuesday and I´ll check it out.

DC offset doesn´t necessarily create an audible difference in the sound, but it can reduce dynamic range and if it varies, cause subsonic modulation issues.

It is especially important to remove the DC offset on individual tracks "before" you apply effects or treat the waveform in any way or you will be applying the affect to not just the waveform but to the noise as well.I'm sure Craig knows way more about this than I do but I think the offset is caused by the difference in calibration on Audio cards,for instance,my brother always checks the DC offset after recording with his Frontier Wavecenter but there's never anything to remove,not the case with his older consumer card.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

>> It is especially important to remove the DC offset on individual tracks "before" you apply effects or treat the waveform in any way or you will be applying the affect to not just the waveform but to the noise as well.>>

Definitely. I like to address this before I do anything else, whether it's editing or applying effects or whatever. It's just a good habit to get into.

>> And what's the best remedy? I had Wavelab eliminate the DC offset but I heard no noticable change. Is it so bad after all? >>

You answered your own remedy question. It's bad if you hear it. How I can usually hear it is at the end of the edits, I will sometimes hear a click. This is regardless of whether the volume is completely down on a particular edit or not. DC offset eliminates this.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/nectar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

music*travel photos*tibet*lots of stuff

"Sangsara" "Irian Jaya" & d i t h er CDs available!

http://www.elevenshadows.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Archived