Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What ,,,, no red carpet ?

Looks like I'm moving to Connecticut. So...

I've been building my gear into nice road cases for extremely quick setup and total portability. Ok, here's the hitch... I have lots of nice pro gear (especially killer vintage outboard pres, comps, lims and revs) and tons of I/O (all 24 bit) and all the right (mostly vintage) mics and the little things like full size studio booms, good phones systems etc. But,,

I don't use ProTools !

My system is based around Steinberg's Nuendo. A very capable, but not yet a big draw. My plan is to offer a service that comes to your room to track for later mixing or further recording in protools. Nuendo will record PT compatible audio files and can export a session that can be imported by PT. (however, my thought would also be to provide all audio files with a common start time as well). My guess is that I would be often recording basic tracks and then presenting the tracks to the customer who will continue the work on a PT system or at home on their own PC based system. This way the customer takes advantage of great mic pres, mics and quality compression while tracking basic tracks (perhaps, somewhat at leisure at home, or in their favorite room) and then takes the project wherever he/she wishes afterword. I am taking this approach because I fear I will not have a suitable space for recording at my new home. Also, I want to offer good audio services without funneling my customers into a NUENDO-only project. Of course, I'll be happy and capable of taking any of these projects all the way if requested to do so. But, at present, I don't think there will be a lot of customers looking for a specifically NUENDO studio. Maybe in a year or two. I realize that PT pretty much rules right now so I will try to cater to the PT community. Hey, if it goes well, I may migrate (although I feel no need, musically).

Anyway, any input on whether this service might be viable from those of you familiar with the NYC market would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Bill Watson

GigaBoy A/V

[This message has been edited by GigaBoy (edited 12-11-2000).]

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived