Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixing down to tape to please a customer....machines?

Although I believe that I get a good sound from my totally digital system, I anticipate the day that someone will ask me to mix down to tape to get a warmer sound. I cannot afford a 2" 2 channel machine and have no idea what 1/2" or 1" machines would do well for this purpose. I'm open to anything that will do well but won't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions so that I can begin checking out Ebay?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a 1/4" model would do just fine, they're easier to maintain and more common. I believe TASCAM is still making the Model 32 (I have one, it's a workhorse). Another favorite, especially for broadcast use, was the Otari MX5050. Of course, if you can score a Studer/Revox B77 (I think that was the model number...not sure, tho) for a good price, that would be killer.

Let us know what you find out there. Or maybe you should just use Steinberg's Magneto plug-in .

Craig

Well nobody makes a 2-track 2" or 1" recorder. The "pro" standard for mixing to tape is 1/2", and many people still do it to 1/4".

The Otari machines all work really well for this purpose and so do old Ampex's if you can find one in good shape and you really want that "fat tube" sound.

Another nice thing about having a tape deck around is you can use it as a delay unit. Once you hear vocals with a tape delay you may never wanna use digital for that again!

--Lee

Lee,

I stand to correct you. Someone just recently started making an analogue recorder with 1" 2track heads. They wanted the highest resolution they could get in the analogue realm. It is not a standard but does exist. If you're going analogue 1/2" is your best bet. Digital. I would say mix to an Alesis ML9600 but, don't use the A/D converters, SR converters, or dither in it. Go for say an Apogee(Rosetta) front end, & use it (ML9600)for archive purposes.

Quantum! C/O

DBENNVA@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by DBENNVA@hotmail.com (edited 11-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by DBENNVA@hotmail.com (edited 11-15-2000).]

Originally posted by DBENNVA@hotmail.com:

Lee,

I stand to correct you. Someone just recently started making an analogue recorder with 1" 2track heads. They wanted the highest resolution they could get in the analogue realm. It is not a standard but does exist.

Oh yeah! Somebody mentioned that to me not too long ago. I'll bet it's righteous! I'd love to hear it, although I wonder how much difference the extra width REALLY makes (versus 1/2") with only 2 tracks.

--Lee

[This message has been edited by Lee Flier (edited 11-15-2000).]

Originally posted by wormholeprod@yahoo.com:

Perhaps this is semantic but if no one makes 2 trk 2" then how they makes calibration tapes? Or is that 1 trk 2"?

Alignment tapes do you mean? They put the tones on each track separately. So you've got tones going across all 24 tracks (or 16 in the case of 2" 16 track) at the same time.

--Lee

Tascam 32 is the way to go.Get a used one withe good heads set it up for 499/ GP-9. 499 will give you the hearty 456 sound GP-9 is a lot cleaner.I just finished an album recored on my Tascam 85-16. 8 of the songs were mixed to digital the fist two were mixed to the Tascam 32 . The songs done on the 32 have much more personality.

Perhaps this goes without saying, but biasing is crucial with analog tape. A lot of the newer, hotter tapes require that you re-bias your machine for optimum results. Also remember that biasing is a tradeoff between noise, distortion, and signal level. No setting will give you the best of all worlds, so try to find the best-sounding compromise.

Oh yes, one more tip: TASCAM made a stainless steel polish (in a tan metal container) that was my secret weapon against head and tape wear. I put it on the heads about every 20 hours or so, and the stuff fills in any scratches on the head, and greatly reduces friction. Not sure if it's made any more, though...I was told it was hard to find.

A guy from a music store in Toronto had read a column where I mentioned the stuff, used it, and found it every bit as good as claimed. In gratitude, when I gave a seminar up there, he procured a bottle for me and I have been doling it out in minute quantities ever since. It's probably some horribly toxic chemical, oh well.

I have a Tascam 32, but abandoned it when I came across a 42. Have not used either for some time. My mixes typically leave the computer on cd. However, my 32 will ocassionally cut out (audio drops out)on one track. It can be restored by doing a short recording, then the flaky channel plays fine. Anybody else experience this with a 32. Seemed like a switching problem. ?

Thanks.

GigaBoy

There's a product called 'HEDD' by CraneSong. It's a digital device that is supposed to be the finest of the analog tape simulators. Worth checking out, if you want to avoid tape and stay digital, yet give the client the warmth they ask for.

Archived