Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help: Live Sequencer/Sampler

I have been searching for quite some time for a decent sounding and easy-to-use sampler/sequencer for live gigs. Ideally, it would have up to 2 dozen pre-recorded samples of simple percussion such as shaker or tamborine and possibly some subtle atmospheric sounds which could be triggered in sequence from a midi controller. Is there anything on the market already or even a custom-job piece of gear that can cover this ? I tried the Repeater, which is now no longer manufactured but it wasn't as dedicated and intuitive as I was looking for, ie: it seems primarily made more for other applications. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm not opposed to spending some money to get this right. Thanks. :freak:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it [i]has[/i] to be a sampler, as well as a sequencer, then look no further than Akai's MP series, or Yamaha's RS7000 (the one I'd get if I were you). If you just need good onboard sounds and a sequencer, and can do without the sampler, look at E-MU's MP7, or XL7 - both very nice. Best of luck to you.

Many units (Yamaha Rm1x & RS7000/E-MU XL7 & MP 7/Roland MC 505 & 307) have sequencers and onboard sounds that you can tweak, but most of them don't sample. The best thing to do would be to go and listen to these units to see if the onboard sounds they have will suit your needs or not. If you already have specific sounds (pre-recorded parts/background vocals/ etc) that you need to re-produce, then you'll need to get a sampler.

< that you need to re-produce, then you'll need to get a sampler>> Exactly ! Thanks..... Ideally a sequencer sounds okay if it had some workable sounds that I could use sparingly. Are any of these units fairly portable ? Reliable and intuitive/easy to use ? Easy to trigger simply on stage ? Sorry for the questions. I want to get this right....once !

To suppliment information gathered here, you might try using Google to search for specs & pictures of the gear mentioned. Here's a start: [url=http://www.newmusictools.com/nmt1/grooveboxes.html]Grooveboxes[/url] [url=http://www.newmusictools.com/nmt1/digitalsamplers.html]Samplers[/url] [url=http://www.newmusictools.com/nmt1/drummachines.html]Drum machines[/url] Musicplayer.com has a gear database too, but it's not very good yet. Good luck, and rock on. :)

There are 3 Electribes, 1 is strictly a drum machine, the other is a sampler, and the third is a synth module. My thinking is that these wouldn't be your best bet for your application. I would highly recommend popping over to zzounds/musiciansfriend/americanmusical/etc. and read about these various units we've been discussing. If you need sampling and a sequencer, and you don't want to skimp, go with either the Yamaha RS7000, or one of the nicer Akai MPC series.

These are all good suggestions. It's amazing what you can do with the MPC series stuff. The MPC 4000 was just released, it's Big Bucks (list is $4K, I think) but it's basically an Akai Z-series sampler with pads for triggering and decent expandability. Yow!

I checked out the site recommendation and shops you guys suggested. The thing about the Korg is it can record my own parts if I don't like their sounds and save them to smart cards. I don't necessarily need a sampler though. I read good things about the Yamaha QY70 last night and if the sounds were good that could work. I still need to hear any unit I would buy anyway for sound quality. ((((The MPC 4000 was just released, it's Big Bucks (list is $4K, I think) but it's basically an Akai Z-series sampler with pads for triggering and decent expandability. Yow!)))) I actually have owned an MPC 2000 since the get go and it is a valuable, indespensible tool in my studio. For that reason alone I wouldn't take it on the road. $4000. is a little out of my price range right now. Cool product though.

((((You should go down to your local music store and get your hands on these various units, then you can make an educated decision on which one you like)))) Yup, that's my next step. Thanks to all of you I am way more educated now on what I need to look for. Hearing will be believing..... :thu: 'Preciate all the help.

Archived