Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis M1's or Behringer Truth?

Both the Alesis M1's and the Behringer Truth speakers have come highly recommended and both are roughly the same price. The M1's have a wider range, but a lot of people were raving about the Behringer's. Which pair should I go for?
I have no homepage.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a pair of the Behringers, and they are serving fine. I listened to the alesis, Yamaha, Tannoys, Mackies...before buying, but didn't get real side-by-side comparison. I didn't choose the Truths because they sounded the "best", but only because they didn't sound significantly worse. I think the tannoys actually sounded the best, but were about twice the price. I also don't ever listen very loud, so I may not be a good reference point, but they are working fine and I am satisfied with them.

[quote]Originally posted by LeiDeLi: [b] I think the tannoys actually sounded the best, but were about twice the price. [/b][/quote]The cheapest Tannoy's(Proto-J Plus) go for about $199.00(U.S.)a pair and are unpowered.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I don`t care how good the Behringers sound. As long as they continue doing business the way they`ve been, they are not getting mine. If you can get Reveals, those are decent fo the price. I own Mackies and they are very honest. Some people say they sound ugly but they are simply honest, so if they don`t sound good then you know you have a problem. Back to the board. Anyways, whats your budget? Peace, Ernest

The passive Reveals, the red ones, are pretty cheap. I have a pair and like them. I have problems with accurate bass on them, but that could room+ears as well. I'd like some Mackies or those goddamn ADAMs.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b] Anyways, whats your budget? [/b][/quote]My Budget is $500 or less. I'd prefer to get powered monitors too, so I don't have to fuss with a power amp (not that it's [b]that[/b] big of a deal).
I have no homepage.

Audiomaverick posted this link at Georges board. http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/0B7FAE7ED3205D3C86256AE100044F41 The price range may not work for you but there is some good info here. Check it out.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Mitch did a review of the Behringers a month or two back in EQ, and gave them fairly good marks - actually, surprisingly good marks. OTOH, Behringer does have some unfortunate business pratices - like stealing designs from other companies (and getting sued over it), which leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I've got a pair of Behringers and I wouldn't recommend them. Aside from issues of placement, frequency response, etc ... they just sound uninspiring with a harsh treble which might have something to do with the metal dome tweeter. I've just got a pair of Tannoy SRM10Bs and the diffeence is night & day. Try and get more money and check out other options.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[[ Mitch did a review of the Behringers a month or two back in EQ, and gave them fairly good marks - actually, surprisingly good marks. ]] Actually Mitch did a sidebar for the main review. He actually did side-by-side, blindfold test comparisons, so he wasn't influenced by... [[ OTOH, Behringer does have some unfortunate business pratices - like stealing designs from other companies (and getting sued over it), which leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. ]] Indeed. I reviewed their digital mixer a while ago, and it was difficult to be objective and separate the product from the company.

I have the Alesis Monitor Ones paired with Alesis RA100 but it was hard to learn. My mixes did not sound close on other systems (home stereo, car stereo, boom box) to what I heard on the Alesis. Based on good reviews, I bought a pair of powered M-Audio SP-8B and I like them a lot better. The bass response is different but the rest seem close. MF had them on sale for $300 for a pair but I think they stopped carrying them.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

I've owned a pair of the OF Monitor Ones, and they've served me great. But since they're getting a little wear (a little?!) on them, I've been considering another pair. My eyes, and hopefully ears soon, have been on the NHT A-10s. I've also been checking out the Behringers, as well as just getting a pair of Monitor One MKIIs. But as regards the Behringer bad business practices (no secret there)...if people feel that way (which they do), then why do they still shop at Sam Ash, when they were involved in the Mackie scandal also? If I remember, Mackie pulled their product from the Asher for a spell. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Have the people who criticize Behringer relentlessly for copying ever put an Art TUBE MP and the Digitech mini pre side by side ? :) Everyone copies everything. The real reason B gets dinged is because they dare to sell things at rock bottom price (Chinese labor), and retail music can't make as much profit. Before you criticise Chinese labor, explain why it is good enough for TC Electronics.

Yeah, but what Behringer did was different. They actually got schematics from Sam Ash and its parent company to be able to make the EXACT same mixer. Not a copy, but the EXACT same thing. That's what the hubbub is over them. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

[quote]Originally posted by LeiDeLi: [b]Have the people who criticize Behringer relentlessly for copying ever put an Art TUBE MP and the Digitech mini pre side by side ? :) Everyone copies everything. The real reason B gets dinged is because they dare to sell things at rock bottom price (Chinese labor), and retail music can't make as much profit. Before you criticise Chinese labor, explain why it is good enough for TC Electronics.[/b][/quote]I'm sure you mean dbx, not digitech, and wasn't it ART who originally copied Bellari?
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

You guys are thinking about Monitor Ones - they are NOTHING like M1 Actives. I get paid to try out all sorts of monitors in the cheap to mid price range. I have some M1 Actives and they do fine. The B@#$^**^% Truth's are not bad either, but, hands down, for active monitors in that range, my vote goes to the Fostex PM-1's. Definitely better imaging and depth than the M1 Actives. Also, M-Audio is updating their SP8B powered monitors and the new version will start shipping by October - could be one to consider for under $500.
No matter how good something is, there will always be someone blasting away on a forum somewhere about how much they hate it.

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Anderton: Indeed. I reviewed their digital mixer a while ago, and it was difficult to be objective and separate the product from the company.[/quote]What did you think of the mixer?[/b][/quote]If I remember correctly, he was pretty impressed with it - especially at the price point. It's been discussed on this very forum, so you might want to do a search. Okay, I'll do the search for you. Here's the thread: http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006403#000000 And here's the quote I was thinking of: "I reviewed this mixer for EQ recently. Given the price and lineage I was prepared to dislike it but was, quite frankly, shocked at the performance to dollars ratio. If there's a catch, I haven't found it yet. I'm not getting rid of my DA7, but credit where credit is due -- maybe Behringer is trying to turn their image around." - Craig Anderton

I feel that Behringer products are OK but are of poor quality. EG. I have a Power Play Pro for my head phone monitoring of which one channel is dead and another plays only mono. It's 3 years old so no warrantee. I bought my 13 year old son a Vamp2, it lasted 2 days and crapped itself. I returned it and got another one, so I'll see how long it lasts. Nick

I've used Behringer products over the years and I feel that for their target users they are as good as anything in the price range. In fact I think that the Ultr-dyne Pro 9024 is fantastic for its price. I've never had any of their stuff breack down. That said I was surprised when the mixer thing happened especially since the Mackie 8 bus was already dead with the Yamaha 02r and their first digital mixer out. It was a stupid move by Behringer. Buddy

Archived