Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using one monitor for two computers

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Visit your local Staples or COMP USA. BELKIN makes a A/B switch box that should fit your needs.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

If you can afford it, pick up a LinkSys ProConnect Series KVM (~$80). It allows you to flip between PCs with your control key, eliminating the need to have a switch box and bunch of cables cluttering your workspace. I wish they offered one for single PC, dual keyboard, monitor, mouse setup. I switch the same PC between a large (21") monitor/keyboard on my desk and a small (15") monitor/micro keyboard by my synth.

I recently picked up a couple of CompuCable 2-port USB/VGA KVM switches for $29 each online from CDW.com. They allow two computers to share a monitor and a USB keyboard/mouse. They've both worked flawlessly in daily use.
the poster formerly known as MitchG formerly known as EQ_Editor

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I use a switchbox but get a little ghosting. Any suggestions on how to fix this (other than buying an LCD flat panel with digital ins!)?[/b][/quote]Hey Craig, Well for what it's worth I have a Belkin "Omni" here at work that allows me to switch between all four of my computers and have two mice, (is that plural for computer mouses?), attached to my VGA monitor. It rocks! Crystal clear image. And it has software that allows you to run it from the keyboard! Very cool feature that saves reaching in to my rack behind me every time I want to switch. Perhaps they make a smaller version for just two inputs? Worth checking out. - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by MusicWorkz: [b]Visit your local Staples or COMP USA. BELKIN makes a A/B switch box that should fit your needs.[/b][/quote]Looks like they do. Sorry MW, I just was not paying attention! - DJDM PS Craig: I know this does not answer your question about "fixing" the problem with your switcher but I don't really think that that approach is worth it given what repair places charge. A new switcher will be less hassle and probably less $$ in the end.

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I use a switchbox but get a little ghosting. Any suggestions on how to fix this (other than buying an LCD flat panel with digital ins!)?[/b][/quote]Forgive me, I don't know what you mean exactly by ghosting. I picked up a simple two port KVM by IOGEAR for about $45 which works pretty well. Hot keys, no switching. The only catch for me seems to be that I have to have the monitor switched over to the appropriate computer while it's booting up, otherwise it doesn't always recognize my monitor through the switch.
I have no homepage.

I got ghosting on my A/B box as well, but it was extremely minimal, so I put up with it for a few months. For me, ghosting was receiving a very, very faint double of images, text, etc. on the screen, somewhat similar to bad television reception (for those who remember back when televisions used to use antennaes).

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I use a switchbox but get a little ghosting. Any suggestions on how to fix this (other than buying an LCD flat panel with digital ins!)?[/b][/quote]Hey Craig, Are you using an active or passive box? I got the ghosting thing when using a standard passive switch, but it went away when I got a powered unit. FWIW, I use a Hawking Technology CS-102U to switch monitor/keyboard/mouse/USB hub between Mac and PC. Works like a charm, and the nice thing about this particular model is two extra USB ports on the front ... a perfect home for my XSKey. Cheers!

Archived