Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The magic buy that makes you a better drummer?!

Tedly Nightshade

Well folks I bought this Axis bass drum pedal, and my drumming is improved like 200%!

It used to be I couldn't rely on my bass drum foot- it did awkward jerky things when I least expected it, crippling grooves. Now it does what I tell it to.

Amazing! What it's doing for my confidence is helping all other parts of the kit too.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ted, I know of what you speak; the right bass drum pedal makes all the difference in the world. Whenever I've played open mikes I've had no problem with using another drummer's kit, cymbals, or setup, but I've always used my pedal whenever possible (I always asked the owner of the drumkit if he'd mind if I removed his pedal and used mine instead BEFORE I did, of course). Even though my pedal is just a basic one with a leather strap drive that came with my Tama Swingstar kit, I'm used to the feel of that one and no other pedal feels as comfortable (i.e., playable) to me.

I can agree with this. I'm mostly a guitarist, but if I don't have the right gear, the right tone, feel, response etc, I just can't play well. The same goes for my drumming. I bought a DTXPress kit a while ago and I thought I was the worst drummer in the world... then I adjusted the bass drum pedal I bought with it... Adjustments and gear can make a huge difference. ;)

Ted,

that's great that you picked up an Axis pedal. I primarily play a Roland TD-7 kick trigger with my set-up, strictly electronic kick. But when duty calls for me to play an acoustic bass drum, I always use my Axis pedal! It's so fluid and it tranfers foot motion to strokes so smoothly.

I think not having the right pedal definitely can throw your feel off. I never play anyone else's set-ups. If I have no choice, I'll at least bring my own bass drum pedal. It's like having to drive someone else's car you never been in, on a long trip. Yeah, you can do it, but the whole way you're learning all the little details that make it work. And that sometimes prevents you from enjoying the drive! And when you're playing a show, there is so much other shit going wrong (promoters not paying up, band members' tantrums, rude ego-driven sound people...etc) that should be the least of your worries.

what pedal did you use before? I've been tempted to try out an axis for the last few years... i love my current hardware. (pearl powershifter eliminators)..

i think most of the high end stuff is good.. i know the high end pearl, yamaha, tama, dw hardware is solid.. you get what you pay for.. i like axis different design. all they make is hardware so I'm sure it rocks.. hell ayotte recommends them..

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

Originally posted by RhythmInMind:

what pedal did you use before? I've been tempted to try out an axis for the last few years... i love my current hardware. (pearl powershifter eliminators)..

i think most of the high end stuff is good.. i know the high end pearl, yamaha, tama, dw hardware is solid.. you get what you pay for.. i like axis different design. all they make is hardware so I'm sure it rocks.. hell ayotte recommends them..

I replaced an Iron Cobra with a new Ludwig strap type, which was similar to a couple old Pearls I have laying around. I play all what's there whenever I go to drum shops, but this Axis is the first thing where my will and the drum seem to connect without any lag or slack or wobble. I'm using an aftermarket beater with a big old head on it to suit my big ol' calfskin bass drum.

Did my second rehearsal with it today, and I'm just ruling these drums! It's astonishing. I just couldn't play like this before. Dynamics, timing, everything are just so much better, and my cymbal and snare work is better too as a result.

Man oh man! Am I glad I did this. The whole band sounds so much better.

FWIW I usually find other people's kits easier to play because mine is set up almost completely around sound and not ease of use. Big drums can be clumsy to play, a bit slow to respond. I usually feel like I can tear up other people's kits, but bass drum has never been my strong suit with any drum or pedal until now.

Thanks for the interest, all!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I haven't played the Axis stuff, but I've heard nothing but great stuff about them. Their pedals and hihat stands are supposed to be rock solid, very adjustable, and really well designed.

I might have to check one of those pedals out. I've been using a Camco ripoff of one of the DW chain-drive pedals. It's a fine pedal, and was quite inexpensive. But I'm always open to other possibilities

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived