Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuning a kit for "quiet."

Dennyf

Disclaimer: I know nothing of drums or drumming.

However I'm about to get a kit in the house, and it'll be in my "studio," which is just an extra bedroom in the house.

If possible, I would like to tune the kit to play "quietly." I'm not talking total mesh-head or sound-off quiet, rather I'd like to minimize the natural output of the kit.

The kit will be used for learning by a couple people, and will be used for band rehearsals, which again will be at as low a volume level as we can reasonably manage.

A good drummer can play at my target level just by playing more softly, but this kit is also gonna be used by beginners as well (me being one of them :freak: ), so I want the option of being able to play with less "control" without the usual volume. :)

Any suggestions? :confused:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen these drum and cymbal silencers in catalogs. Looks like pieces of rubber the size of each drum and these triangle things that sit on the cymbals.

Or you can go the 70s route of tape and dead ringers (those insulation strips for doors work about the same) on the heads etc.

It's difficult to quiet down cymbals without making them sound like garbage can lids. Best just tap them.

I use those bundled rods instead of sticks at home, and they drop the volume almost in half for me. I also use my splashs more often since they are quieter.

Hey you white boy there

Go play that funky music

"ok...what's it pay?"

first smoke, then silence

your very expensive rig

dies so gracefully

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the suggestions.

I'm peripherally aware of things like "hot rods," sound-offs and the like, but that's not quite what I'm getting at.

Maybe there's no way to accomplish what I want, (and I acknowledge that the cymbals are a separate issue) but what I want to do is set the kit up to be played with conventional sticks and technique, still sound more-or-less like drums rather than practice pads, but just not be as loud. I'm thinking in (ignorant) terms of muffling inside the shells, or something between the heads and the rims, or . . . I dunno! :confused: That's my point.

Any unconventional ideers? ;)

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

and of course you can put towels over the heads. Removing the resonant heads will help. Toms and bass drums with one head will be quieter. Snare too, but then you don't have any snare, unless you turn the drum upside down- could damage the snare side head or the snare unless played with care.

Really, you have to include sticks. find some really light but "normal" sticks, shorten them if you want. Or use the right size dowels from the hardware store.

as far as cymbals, really thin cymbals, small diameters, and don't open the hats very far.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived