Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best brand.

Knight_of_Ni

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised no-one has responded.

I'm far from an expert on all the possibilities out ther, but as a studio owner who has seen a ton of cheap kits brought in over 25 years, I would say that you can't go wrong with the Pearl Export series. very punchy, and not "choked" like a lot of cheap kits.

Of course, proper head selection and tuning are EVERYTHING, so be prepared for a long learning process. -And don't expect the heads that come on the kit to be fresh. they do age over time just being under tension.

Originally posted by Knight_of_Ni:

What do you think the best brand of drum is for a young drummer who wants a good quality set for an affordable price. :freak:

Buy used. You'll be able to do better for the same money. Hopefully take someone who knows drums and don't worry about the brand so much, but what kind of shape the drums are in and how well they work.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Allan is right on the money!

The exports are a great buy and the kick is punchier than you would expect. Heck, I never even replaced the front bass head so you can imagine what an EMAD would sound like. I did replace the tom heads with Evans g2 clears and spent a while with tuning. Not too shabby!

I'll bet a young drummer would be much happier with a new kit than an old one...unless its a Ludwig maple. Had to throw that in!

I agree ... buy used.

If you must buy new, I would suggest the YAMAHA Stage Absolute Customs or the SONOR Force 3001. Both are nice sounding kits ... especially for the money ... and you can pick either one up (5-piece) for around $650; less if you get the 20-inch kick drum.

Keep in mind, that's without cymbals or a drum throne. When you buy new, that stuff is always sold separately ... unless you work up a package deal.

But I have to say, if you are young and fairly new to drumming, get a used drumkit; you'll get more for your money as well as higher quality for a lower price.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Look for heavy, stout hardware. Ludwig, Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Yamaha, Sonor. I love my Sonor snare stand. Buying used is a good idea. Do your homework and check out the different price ranges so you'll know the difference between a cheap set and a well built set.

When buying used, check the lugs to make sure they aren't pulling off of the shell; when I bought my used set of Ludwigs I failed to notice that a couple of the screws that hold the lugs in place were stripped. I was able to fix it, but you might not be so lucky. Buyer beware. And get the sales guy to throw in a set of new heads. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived