Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Clip on Drum mics?

Sunshy

My budd had some nifty teeny-tiny mics that would clip on to his toms for recording. They were great because they wouldn't get in the way. Where can I get these? What are they called (brand?)? How much are they? Thanks y'all!
"Pray for the dead . . . but fight like hell for the living." Mother Jones

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Sunshy:

My budd had some nifty teeny-tiny mics that would clip on to his toms for recording. They were great because they wouldn't get in the way. Where can I get these? What are they called (brand?)? How much are they? Thanks y'all!

Could be the Shure Beta98 or the AKG C418 , C419 , or D409 , the Audix D-series , or possibly an Audio Technica ATM23he .

I personally own the AKG versions, although I have the older models; AKG C408 and C409. I also use the SHURE versions a lot on various gigs, but don't own them ... yet.

I really dislike the e604 because they are so big, and mounting them leaves little in the way of versatility. This is especially true when it comes to using the e604 on a small drum ... like a 10-inch Tom Tom. The e604 are nice mics ... so if you want to use them you'll probably want to mount them on mic stands and not try to clamp them on your drums ... especially the small drums.

If you don't know what I'm talking about with the e604, just have a look at them. They have pre-molded clamps, so you can't change the distance from the point of contact to the tip of the mic. On a small drum, like the 10-inch Tom Tom, the mic head is practically in the center of the head! Nice sounding mics though. :)

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by astrozombie:

"I really dislike the e604 because they are so big"

I love my 604's, they sound great. However, I mount them using Audix clips. This keeps the mic out of the way, yet still getting the tone of the drum (even on the smallest toms).

Good for you. That's a smart move and one that I was hinting at. Whatever you have to do, just getting them on another mounting apparatus is a must.

They do sound good.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I too am not a fan of the 604 clips, but the mics are decent.

Most of these mini mics have so little mass they have no affect on resonance at all.

I'm a big fan of the Shure SM98's(not the beta ones) for recording, and have used them many times with excellent results. They're no 414 (my fav for toms, yea I am a bit nuts) bu t if I've got a bashing drummer, the 414's aren't going up!!!!

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived