Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

electronic kits

MadHatterTCM

I didn't wanna take away from the electronic drum kit thing, because this is a bit differant of a ?

What's the cheapest electronic kit,

that will allow you to put in your own samples.

I wanna add an electronic kit to my accoustic kit.

So I'm not worried about the durability of any hardware,

I'd put it on my own rack or stands.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the suggestion for the D4 was simply to take the trigger signal from a drum pad and convert it to a MIDI signal which would then be sent to a sampler (to trigger the sampled sounds)

The problem you face is that most samplers do not accept 1/4" feeds from a drum trigger (pad) most samplers are designed to be triggered via a MIDI signal from a keyboard.

So - you need a device (like a D4)to accept the 1/4" feed from a drum pad, convert it to a MIDI signal and then send that MIDI signal to a sampler.

Roland makes a dedicated box which can accept 4 triggers and convert them to MIDI (don't remember the model # but it was about $150) however a D4 gives you I beleive 12 trigger inputs and also provides a alot of decent sounds - and you can get a used D4 for about $100.

I don't know if the D4 conversion is as smooth as the dedicated Roland device.

Originally posted by MadHatterTCM:

what?

Then why was it suggested?

I need something that if I have some samples on my computer,

I can stick it on a brain

I suggested that you ALSO purchase a sampler in addition to the D4. The D4 provides pad-to-MIDI conversion and also has a large selection of on board sounds to work with on it's own. From there you can take a MIDI out into a sampler which will store all of the sounds you created on your own.

Here's the thing;

What are you going to use this for? Are you planning to gig with it?

If so, you are crazy if you don't seriously consider this Roland pad I recommended. I mean, 9 pads WITH sampling and is completely integrated into ONE simple unit. Plug it in, turn it on, you're done!

This versus,

3 seperate pads that will require probably 2 stands, PLUS cords, PLUS Pad-to-MIDI conversion, PLUS a brain with sampling capability.... A pain in the ass to transport and setup, and all you get out of it is 3 pads?

To each, their own. But it's not the route I would choose.

One thing I've learned from gigging is that ergonomics are your friend. My goal is to squeeze a lot into a little. If I can shave 10 minutes off of my setup time, and have less stuff to transport and worry about, PLUS get greater functionality out of it....that's the path I'm gonna take.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Memorystick? Yes, but not at the prices you are talking about.

The Roland XV5080 will do that. It's technically a synth module -a very nice one- and it will set you back about a grand and a half.

The only other "brain" for electronic drums I am aware of that will take user samples would be the Ddrum 4. This unit has been out for awhile, so I think it's price has dropped a bit. However, it is probably still over a grand -I'd bet. Ddrum is known for being pretty nice stuff.

One other thought regarding the Roland pad I keep recomending but you seem to have no interest in: If it is like other Roland multipads it may have some inputs for external pads on the back of the unit. The old Octapad I used to use had 8 inputs, which was very handy. The newer one's usualy have maybe 2 or 4. This might solve your problem.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

It is a sampler, so that implies that you should be able to load your own samples, yes.

I don't know, but I am going to guess that it also has a basic set of sounds on board to play with as well, and probably has some internal effects as well. You can probably get all of the information you want about it by clicking the link below.

Roland SPD-S Sampling pad

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and how it works out.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived