Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paiste Sound Edge hi-hats?

Prague

A long story, but I need to supply a hi-hat for the drummers. So, I'll ask here.

I looked at the Sound Edges. The bottom hat is rippled along the edge. This looks like it will let air escape when playing the hat with the pedal only. I think I would like this, as I don't like the "cupped" sound with a lot of midrange and little high frequency edge. Is this what the Sound Edges do?

Also, I would like the closed hat sound to be at the higher frequencies (ts-ts-ts), rather than the lower frequencies (ch-ch-ch). Would thinner and/or smaller diameter hats give me this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play the Paiste Signature Sound Edge 14".

If recording, my advice would be to opt for the 13" variety. The 14's can get loud and hard to pull back into the mix if using overheads.

As for the sound, yes the closing of the hats provides a very loud chick. However, the normal playing does not produce the highest pitched ts ts ts type sound. Really, this sound is a bit more controlled by the players skill level and I would probably steer you more towards a Dark Crisp Hi-Hat 13" - 14" as a good all purpose hat unless you want a very loud hat.

I am using these now. Not my dream hats, but they do record pretty well. Just like super8 said, bright and not terribly warm. -But they cut through a mix really well, and the "chick" is very tight. There is also a good amount of timbral response when changing dynamics, which is very important. I prefer these to the type with the holes drilled in them. However, there are a bit on the "cold" side.

As for volume, i personally prefer to record with loud hats, which is one reason I bought these. i hate having to blend in a seperate hats mic, with all that leakage and phase-smear, and most hats get a little lost in the O-H's. -same goes for ride cymbals. loud is good, IMO.

I would suggest that you actually try them to see if the sound is what you want.

I happen to use 12" Custom "A" Zildjian Recording Hats when i record - and they have a very warm/bright sound that cuts through well........

One of the better purchases of mine.....

But still i suggest you try pairs until you find the sound you want......... your ears are always the best test........

Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd post an update.

I've been buyin a bunch of hats off of ebay. I figured it's cheaper to buy a to of them dirt cheap, then re-sell those I don't like, than buying a few very expensive sets new. -Especially because I can never really tell if i like them until I get them hope and record the kit.

well, Although I'm not completely in love with my Paiste Signature sound-edge 14" pair (see above, very cutting but a bit "cold") I have found that out of all the 14" hats I now have (about twenty) EVRY ONE sound sbest with the Paiste Sig sound-edge on the bottom. It's magical. Best with the really old Zildians, but also working great with an HHX top, and DEADLY with a Mastersound top.

-So now I just swap top hats to get various sounds.

i will NEVER sell that bottom hat!

Update: I just found a magic combo:

I took the paiste sound-edged sinature top, and put it on the bottom (lighter weight, and no ridges) with a vintage A-Zildian top. Oh mama! This is now my go-to combo.

The wash is rich, like you'd expect from vintage Zildjian. the chick is chunky, but also very bright. The volume is about medium. Cuts through a mix like a dream, and it's very easy to close-mic, as there isn't an over-abundance of lows.

Highly recommended!

Archived