Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Counting out 32nd notes?

dmt

In 4/4 time, 8th notes go "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and ". 16th notes are commonly counted "1 e and a, 2 e and a, 3 e and a, 4e and a". How 'both them 32nds?!

I'm trying to move up to 32nd notes, but I'm not sure if the correct stick is coming down at the correct time. It's sad, but my my head starts to spin as soon as I try to work out the math and figure out which stick should be where at what time (single stroke roll).

Any counting aids or other tips?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't concentrate on the conscious assignment of a "word/sound image" (if you follow) to match the pulse; just do the subdivisions of beat levels & try to achieve an unconscious feel.

And start at slow speeds, then speed up (oh, you already knew that part?).

I'm not a drummer per se but this type of problem counting rhythms at fast tempo affects all instrument players & the best suggestion is really to get your conscious mind out of the way.

Sometimes just feeling it out is too vague to determine a specific accent's place in time. A good example is Chameleon by Herbie Hancock. Where exactly do those last couple bass accents land? Counting lets you play them with newfound certainty and authority.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I didn't mean in my suggestion to skip the counting procedure---it's imperative that musicians be able to know what they're doing---but I do suggest that at some point one needs to be able to operate less self-consciously & without mentally breaking everything down, i.e., to perform on sort of "auto-pilot".

Archived