Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronic Drum Kits... MIDI mapping?

michael saulnier

If I work with a Drummer with an electronic kit... I assume I can record both the "sound" of his playing from his module, and also the MIDI file of his playing...

If he's not around, (or at least his module isn't around), I can send the MIDI output to one of my keyboards and use its drum sounds...

But what about the "mapping"...

Is there a standard "order" that drum modules use, sort of like the GM or GM2 standards...

I assume there must be some variation for different kits... but will I likely need to do a lot of "mapping" or creating my "own" drum kits?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a lot of them use the GM drum map. EMU does not so be forewarned.

I've got a Roland SPD-8 pad thingy. It lets me map the pads to any midi note number so whatever the setup is, it's do-able.

Just remember that with drums, you're only using ten or so note numbers so it's not that big of a deal to sort out.

You have existing midi files from a drum module and want to run them through your synth?

There is probably an better way to do it, but you can duplicate the midi file and just move the individual notes to where you want them for the synth. Not sure what you are using, but in PTLE you ctrl-shift-click on the midi note in the piano roll to select all of that particular note and just move them wherever you want with the grabber tool.

my band: Mission 5

GM is common and standard, makes life easy, but isnt the only mapping.

its good to stick to it in terms of mapping though as i like to be able to make a drum program on my MPC and be able to play it in digital drums without having the kick suddenly playing the hi-hats.... heh

so having a standard is good.

but like the guy above said, there arent too many notes and you can transpose very easily.

Archived