Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A question on creating drum tracks using ACID

Nelson Faro

Ok gearheads, here's my question:

A question on creating drum tracks using ACID

Ok gearheads, here's my question:

I recently bought Acid 4.0 so I could assemble my own drum tracks. I know it's mostly for Loop recording but at least it has a variable time signature timeline. Does anyone know of any specialized drum software or Plug-in that does this sort of thing? I do most of my performing / recording in my Queens apartment so recording live drums is out of the question. I'm mostly a guitar player and vocalist but when it comes to drums I know what I want and drum machines just don't allow me the flexibility I need to get what I'm looking for. I have sampled / captured drum kit sounds from my buddies kit and I've chopped them using Acid's "Chopper" device.

Now, before each peak of each beat there's a bit of a volume "ramp up". I used the chopper to zoom in the maximum amount and edit right down to the first tiniest initial peak of the waveform sound and I allow for the tail of it to decay naturally before chopping it at the end.

The peak of the waveform comes somewhat significantly later than the initial tiny wave. Should I be chopping them differently so that the peaks will line up as the program "snaps-to-grid"? If so, how do I do that? Or is this tiny timing discrepancy no big deal? I just read the article on Quantizing Guitar parts in EQ's July Issue and it got me wondering. Especially about what will happen later on if I decide to use them in conjunction with some other software that automatically lines up all beats at the peaks.

I'm especially concerned because I plan to start working on a LOT of elaborate drum tracks, building them beat by beat. What do you suggest? Does any one know of any specialized drum software that can help me do this sort of thing? I can use all the help I can get. Thank you so much for your time and tips!!!!!!!

NELSON FARO

Queens, NY

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many software programs allow you to identify a 'sync point' in your waveform that can be the place that will snap to the grid, even though there might be material before that. I would be surprised if Acid did not have something like this. Without such a feature your notes will either sound chopped off at beginning or will hit late.

To further complicate matters, putting the attack of every note right on the grid often makes for a stiff, unfunky feel- you may need to move certain parts of the measure a tiny bit early or late to make it groove.

• 2 weeks later...

read the manual

for gods sake read the manual!

the ACID beatslicer is extremely functional, and by bouncing down tracks (which acid calls Render) you can work fast and effectively in ACID if you have some small amount of skill

if not, you sound like every other kid using acid and boring loops.

Reason has a useful drum module.

Archived