Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum mics

MadHatterTCM

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Audix D series on my toms and they work great. I don't have the ADX 90 but I will say that Audix, in general, makes decent products, and their customer service is really top notch.

Low cost overheads... The Oktava MK-012 is a very popular choice for low cost drum overheads among the home studio crowd. It's a Russian made small diaphragm condensor. They cost $99 bucks each at Guitar Center. You can also buy them in matched pairs for a little more money. (more on that later)....

Do a google search on that mic and you will find all sorts of online reviews and info on them. Generally what you'll find is that for the money, most people agree that you will not find a better performing mic in that price range. Check Digidesign.com and search the forums there as well. Lots of guys, including myself, use them and love them.

Also check "MC012". It's the same exact mic... just the old part number. For some reason Oktava changed the part number some time ago.

FWIW, They also work great on guitar amps, acoustic guitars, and other stuff.

The only knock on Oktava, is that their quality control has been known to be... um... shall we say.... "slightly lacking". Being a Russian company, evidently their manufacturing processes are not exactly state of the art. However if you buy the mics from Guitar Center, they have a very liberal return policy on mics, so you can take them home and test them out. If they don't match you can keep exchanging them until you get a matched pair. Or, if you want to spend a little more money, there's a company called "The Sound Room" online. They buy Oktava mics in bulk from the manufacturer in Russia. Then they run them through a series of quality checks and match them in stereo pairs according to frequency response. They resell them in a fancy box with a certification that they are true matched pairs. But the price is kinda steep... like $350 bucks or something like that.

Another set to consider is the Rode NT5. They are only sold as a matched set and I have seen them as cheap as $250 for the set. I have not personally tried them but from all I have read, they are also pretty nice mics, and the closest competitor to the Oktava... in that price range.

I agree with the The Oktava MK-012 if you're that finacially restricted. A small step up to the AT 1'2" mics would probably get you better results, unless you're doing a 3-4 mic set-up (in which case you want 1" capsule on top.)

You might also consider spending twice as much for just ONE O-H mic, and record the o-h in mono. Less phase smear, faster set-up, overall punchier sound. You can always buy a second (better) mic later when you have the cash.

For cheap toms mics, I'd prefer some SM-57's with a little eq. At least they have an exciting, aggressive sound. I have personally never liked any of the Audix mics, just something missing, IMO.

Archived