Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

8 track studio drum mic´s?

totemspock

I´m about to buy some drum mic´s for my little studio in my garage. Nothing fancy at all, I have an 8 track Yamaha MD portable recorder and no acoustic treatment, just some portable walls that I can move around in the garage. At the moment I have some mic´s that are not mine that I have to return shortly. I have three 421´s and two beta 58´s. I love the 421´s I use one for overhead (yes it actually works) and one for the kick. For the snare I have a SM57.

Now, what do you think of these mic´s that I would like to buy? For the kick i´m thinking a sennheiser e602 and for the snare a Beta57. What do you think of the Beta57 on snare, how is it different from the SM57? Suggestions on a overhead mic? I´m ready to spend 100-150 bucks on a overhead. I´m planning to buy a submixer so I can mic the rest of the kit also (Sennheiser e604 on toms). Tell me what you think, I mostly record rock music.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$150 won't buy much of an overhead, however having said that, a pair of Oktavia's is a good investment.

the 602's a decent kick mic, as it the Shure Beta52(my preference)

Stick with the 57 on snare, it's about as standard as it gets, and is IMHO better on snares than the beta counterpart.

Use the 421's for toms, or as a kick mic.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Thank´s fore the reply, as I said I won´t be keeping these microphones as they are not mine. I do not afford to buy new (or used) 421´s, though I love them on toms. That´s why I want to know if the e604 is a good substitute on toms.

Thank´s for the tip on the Beta57

Anyone else have an opinion on the Beta57 and the e604? I would really like to try something new on the snare instead of the "old" SM57.

What do you think of the Rode NT5 (sold in pair) or NT3 (sold as one) as overhead mic´s? They are deffinitely in my pricerange.

Check out the sennheiser e609 silver series for toms. they are replicants of the original sennheiser 609's, and are excellent reproductions. At $99, it's tough to beat the price. Great toms mics, killer on guitar.

My #2 mic choice on snare is an Audio Technica 4041 SD condensor. When the 57 doen't give me enough bite, the SD condensor does. Again for budget, check into the Oktavia line.

I personally didn't like the NT5, I found it to be brittle and thin sounding, not very musical at all.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

Archived