Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Overhead mics for live gig?

klee

Wanted some advice about micing drums for a live gig that I will be running sound for. I have a project studio that I record bands in and I'm used to close micing the whole kit and having left and right overhead condenser mics for cymbals. But I'm concerned that if I try to use overhead condensers for the cymbals at a live gig that they will pickup the drummers monitor and cause feedback. What do you guys suggest for micing drums live?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IME's(in ear monitors)

that way there's no monitor for the cymbals to pick up. Hardwire IEM's for drummers can be had for a few hundred bucks. Sennheisser wireless IEM's are around 4700, and sound great.

while you're at it, get rid of all those big ass amps and cabs too. use small amps in iso boxes, direct for bass and keys. No stage volume, major sound improvement. You engineer and audience will thank you, and your ears will be saved from years of abuse from too loud volumes. IEM's protect your hearing as well as lower overall volume, as they are dynamically controlled to provide clean, low level but dynamic fidelity, far better wsounding than any wedge could ever be, at much lower volumes.

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

"while you're at it, get rid of all those big ass amps and cabs too. use small amps in iso boxes, "

...umm...actually...use speakers in iso cabs; amps generate way too much heat to be enclosed like that. speaker replacement is cheaper than amp replacement.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

• 3 weeks later...

well first, If you give the drummer overheads in his moniter, you deserve the feedback.

I will give overheads for :

1. A big gig

2. Drummer that does not kill his cymbals

3. Recording

But if the drummer hit's his cymbals hard, there is too much offensive cymbal sound everywhere,( toms and vocals)

Archived