Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to best monitor/amplify V-Drums?

TheBassMan

Hello there! A very short intro as this is my first post: I'm a bass player since many years, but I'm also interested in dabbling in other instruments (guitar, piano, drums) as much as I have time for. A couple of years ago I bought a TD-8 kit which has grown with V-Cymbals and what-not (all input used :) ) and I'm now considering using the drums at rehearsals and eventually live.

So, my questions; I've searched for input on how to best monitor and amplify the V-Drums on stage, so that myself and the others hear as natural a drum sound as possible. I think it would be preferrable to have most of the drums sound coming "from the drums", i.e. not from the front floor monitors. So, how to achieve this?

What (active) speakers should I get - floor wedges or EON/Mackie type active PA speakers? Keyboard amps?

What is the best position for the speakers? Front/sides/behind the drums? The crux is that both the drummer and the band mates want to hear the sound as if it comes from the drums. One idea I have would be to place two speakers to the side and slightly behind the drums, pointed in towards the middle so both I and the rest of the band hear them. Is this a working model?

Any input appreciated! :)

/Anders

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't use my TD-10s live much (They are used mostly for studio work) but when I do I used a pair of EONs with an Alesis power amp. I have the speakers set up behind me to my left and right. I set the EONs on some hard shell tom cases which puts them about 2 feet off the stage. I angle them out slightly to each side of the stage (so they are not blasting me directly.

While I use non-powered (simply because I already had them) powered should work fine. I am a fan of the EONs since they are light weight and they can take plenty of abuse.

A less expansive approach woould be a keyboard amp/speaker combo (both Roalnd and Peavey make decent units. I've heard of some people useing bass amp combos - but you would want something with a treater - for the high end on the snare/cymbals. Personnaly - on stage I think you need2 cabinets - one for each side of the stage.

Naturally, you would likely still want to run a signal to the mains

The main thing with amping e-drums is you need (or preferably should have) a 15" for the low end and a tweater for the high end.

I found the other players preferred the drum sound to come from the area of the drums rather than from the monitor wedges - I think it is perception issue (they are used to hearing the drums "behind them").

Archived