Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Machines

Timothy Lyons

What's the easiest, cheapest drum machine out there to use? I'm kinda attracted to the old-school Yamaha RX11 and RX15's, but are there any other drum machines out there that are similar in functionality? I'm looking for something solid and really easy to use, find on ebay and pay less than $75.
\m/ Timothy Lyons

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DON'T LAUGH........but I have both of those machines, Alesis SR16, a Boss 760, and a Dr Grove.

I really like the SR16 for the easy fills that you can develope, sweet patterns. The 760 has some awsome brush sounding drums too. You know I've had the SR16 for quite a few years, and the price is still up there for the unit. You might be able to pick up the SR16 a little cheeper than $100.

Jazzman :cool:

I think with the proper processing, they sound ok. That is to say some reverb should be added if you use them. These machines are very dry. They sound ok, but the drum sounds are limited. The cymbals are not the greatest due to the lower bit processing.

Without a doubt,the SR-16 is just the best all around drum machine ever.

It's simple,it's versatile,you can stack sounds and the sounds have the velocity of a drum being hit,not just the volume.

I've heard a few people complain that it wasn't a "true" drum synth,but,thats what the stacking function is for,and it is way faster than having to twiddle with algorhythms and what not.

The only way I could suggest an improvement on the SR 16 is if Alesis combined the sounds of the DM Pro and DM 5 along with their much missed(at least to me)MMT-8 Hardware sequencer and equipped the whole shebang with a 3.5 floppy so you could save sequences and free up memory.

At any rate though,the SR-16 is a true classic work horse and the only drum machine I have ever used that was worth far more than it's purchase price.

Originally posted by skyy38:

Without a doubt,the SR-16 is just the best all around drum machine ever.

It's simple,it's versatile,you can stack sounds and the sounds have the velocity of a drum being hit,not just the volume.

I've heard a few people complain that it wasn't a "true" drum synth,but,thats what the stacking function is for,and it is way faster than having to twiddle with algorhythms and what not.

The only way I could suggest an improvement on the SR 16 is if Alesis combined the sounds of the DM Pro and DM 5 along with their much missed(at least to me)MMT-8 Hardware sequencer and equipped the whole shebang with a 3.5 floppy so you could save sequences and free up memory.

At any rate though,the SR-16 is a true classic work horse and the only drum machine I have ever used that was worth far more than it's purchase price.

Do you know how the SR-16 compares to the Boss 770? You'd think that for $200 more, the Boss would provide better sound, greater flexibility, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Boss units are pretty good all around. I like the SR 16 for the flexibility in laying down the fills, and ease in using a foot pedal to switch from one pattern to another while playing another instrument like the keyboard or bass guitar. I do that often.

The Boss 770 is supposed to have twice the quanitity of drum sounds on it. The sounds are really great! I wish I had that one too.

Your choice....but you were looking for simple, easy to use and cheap!

Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived