Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you hear yourself?

Dobeyafool

First off, I play bass. My question is how do drummers decide how loud to play? I've been with our current drummer a long time. We do mostly private parties and small clubs. The problem is this. I think the drums are not loud enough in top 40/classic rock stuff. We also do standards and light jazz, which is fine. It seems like our drummer gets locked into a low volume and stays there. His answer is he can't tell how loud he is, sitting behind the PA, etc. I don't like trying to tell someone else how to play, especially since I don't play that instrument. Any help
Life can be a poem if you just let it happen. - James Lee Burke

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When doing stage work, I tend to play at a volume just shy of the level at which I hear everyone else. That is, I play as loud as I'm able to while still being able to hear what's going on, regardless of room size, or whether I'm hearing the room or monitors. Simply put: don't overplay your sound reference.

(unless the the soundman tells you to... but how often is a drummer told to play louder ?? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have a hard time playing loud, when I grew up on Jazz. The band used to yell at me a lot to play louder. But that was when mics were not used much out at gigs. Now days a drummer's setup consists of mics and his own board to set the volume straight. That's a tough one. It deals with informing the drummer how loud he needs to play so he can mentally setup in his mind how loud to play for all of the music. Trial and error mostly I guess.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived