Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How may folks play out so much that you don't have time to practice!!

Jazzman

Some folks are lucky to play out a lot, but don't have time to practice. So when you play out do you consider it practice, even though you are playing a set?

I wasn't so fortunate to play out all of the time, so I had a lot of practice time.

What is you situation?

Jazzman

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up until recently, that was my scenario. Gigging and/or rehearsing for gigs kept me out at least 3-4 nights a week. The other days were probably spent learning the material. Add to that, I don't have a second kit, so I'd be settin' up and tearin' down way too much for not being out on tour!

Now that I'm doing more session work and producing, my kit doesn't go out as much, so I'm somewhat able to get back woodshedding again.

I gotta admit... over the years, I've been playing so much, it's an eye-opener realizing how much of the basics get "forgotten"!!

I never play anymore without an audience it seems. That doesn't bother me too much though. I've never liked 'woodshedding'.

The one thing about drums that has always been a drawback has been the fact that you can't just sit down and play a song, like you could with a piano or a guitar.

Having a faster paradiddle never appealed much to me, unless it was for a particular song I wanted to play. I've been known to sit down and woodshed a special fill I wanted to play, or to lock down a groove a little better. But apart from that, I prefer to be playing a song with people or even a synth sequence.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived