Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gretsch catalina elite fusion kit, weird tom ringing

captain54

I've done numerous searches on this forum to find a solution to my problem and I'm not sure which direction to turn..

I have a gretsch catalina elite kit with 10", 12" and 14" toms....I can't seem to get rid of a weird overtone/ring (kind of a "puueey" sound)...

I've replaced the batter heads with Remo coated ambassadors....the resonant head remains the stock Gretsch clear head.......I've tried a million different tunings....the only thing that seems to help is moon gelling the bejesus out of the top and bottom heads...

one suggestion in a previous post was to go with the coated 2 ply remo ambassadors on the resonant side and the pinstripes on the batter side....

can any one suggests any other head combinations??

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this sound happen on all of the toms or does one ring out no matter which head is hit? Did you try removing the bottom heads to see if the sound persists? Did you try removing one drum at a time to see which drum is giving you the problem? Do you think that maybe one drum is uneven where the head lands on the drum? how about felt on the edge of the drum? Just a thought. Never tried that myself.

The bottom head/s may be the problem.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived