Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you play along to CDs? Which ones?

Bunny Knutson

Sometimes, when practicing alone, I like to play along to CDs. It helps me to practice listening while playing. And if you pick a CD with a great drummer, it helps to compare your chops against a pro.

One thing that helps when playing along with a CD, is to use lighter sticks, unless you're monitoring the CD out of a big PA system, or using loud headphones. I like to use dowel sticks, like the Vic Firth Rute 202 sticks. They have a great feel, a great sound, and it's easy to play quietly with them, making the CD easier to hear.

Today, I was playing along with the Police's Zenyatta Mondatta album. What fun! This is a fantastic album to play along with, even though half the time my kids were in my lap trying to hold the sticks with me, making the whole process incredibly challenging! ;) You can learn a lot trying to lock up with Stewart Copeland on those tight-but-loose Police gems. He always seemed to be playing the perfect beat at the right time in all those songs. With the perfect flair.

Have you tried this method of practicing? If so, which albums do you like to play along with, and why? How do you monitor the CDs?

:thu:

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always, and with headphones. I figure I'm making enough noise as it is, don't need to add a p.a. system and a disc blaring to the cacophony. Besides, back in the day, it always seemed kind of odd for the drummer to be wearing headphones; I, however, did that whenever I could, and grew to depend on it. And since technology for in-ear monitors has come around and improved dramatically, I plan on using those when I get back out to play again.

I've spoiled myself with listening to finished CD quality sound while playing, and I'm not sorry about it. Thus, I have my own little mixer setup so I can make my own mix to play to...it also has a reverb and stereo limiter on it, so I can make the mix sound somewhat like a CD.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived