Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TAMA Kit

Timothy Lyons

I'm a bassist and guitarist (loyal to Ibanez) and was looking into getting a drumset for my home studio. I would be learning how to doodle a bit, so I could better express the ideas of how the drums should sound from my head, but I came across an issue.

I'm looking for something cheap yet reliable, and really like the sound and look of the TAMA kits, but at the moment, I am looking for a kit that has a bass drum with a nice deep, yet punchy 'whap' to cut through the mix. As a bassist, I feel the bass drum is very important, and must be deep but pronounced.

I am looking for a good, versatile kit that would be used primarily for metal, but inexpensive and easily upgradable in the near future.

I was originally looking at a TAMA Swingstar 5 piece set, but then found the TAMA Rockstar Fusion 5 piece set, with a much bigger bass drum. I also noticed that additional Rockstar are more readilly available. Would a Rockstar kit be good for a home studio (it may see a little bit of road but the use is primarily studio)

\m/ Timothy Lyons

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Timothy Lyons:

I'm a bassist and guitarist (loyal to Ibanez) and was looking into getting a drumset for my home studio. I would be learning how to doodle a bit, so I could better express the ideas of how the drums should sound from my head, but I came across an issue.

I'm looking for something cheap yet reliable, and really like the sound and look of the TAMA kits, but at the moment, I am looking for a kit that has a bass drum with a nice deep, yet punchy 'whap' to cut through the mix. As a bassist, I feel the bass drum is very important, and must be deep but pronounced.

I am looking for a good, versatile kit that would be used primarily for metal, but inexpensive and easily upgradable in the near future.

I was originally looking at a TAMA Swingstar 5 piece set, but then found the TAMA Rockstar Fusion 5 piece set, with a much bigger bass drum. I also noticed that additional Rockstar are more readilly available. Would a Rockstar kit be good for a home studio (it may see a little bit of road but the use is primarily studio)

I've been looking for a mid priced kit and I think I'm going for the Tama Rockstar. It got really good reviews from Modern Drummer. Read the Rockstar Custom Review HERE. The price is right ($750 for the covered version and $900 for the laquered (Custom) version including H/W). I've always liked the sound of Tama drums. For studio applications I'm sure it will be quite fine with the most important things being tuning and mike placement.

Archived