Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with my studio drum kit....

GZsound

My band drummer quit Tuesday and now I need help. He was using some of his own cymbals on the 1969 Rogers kit I have.

I am a non-drummer and need to get a new 18" crash and a pair of hi hat cymbals. I am also considering replacing all the heads while I'm at it.

We play mostly classic rock and the drum kit will be used mostly for less-than-hard rock and metal. Some country, etc.

I have been going through my music catalogues and I admit the Zildjian line is totally confusing as is Sabian. There is also Paiste which seems to be a reasonable priced product.

I need mid priced cymbals and would appreciate any advice as to the difference in tone and quality between Zildjian and Sabian.

Also, my local music store recommends Aquarian heads..any suggestions on these? I believe we have been using Remo Black Dot.

Thanks from your friendly local sax player...

-

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paiste is a great product (not that the other majors aren't). I've always had great luck with them (and still do), but as far as the current lineup, I couldn't tell you and be helpful, but they are durable. I mean, after all...they survive Stewart Copeland's technique, no?

DO go with a smaller crash; unless you're doing a lot of hard rock, an 18" crash is gonna have a little TOO much voice in your arrangement. Try a 15" or 14", something that speaks quick and decays quick. As for hats, 13" follow the above comments...quick, distinct, and less tiring to the ear after an hour.

As for heads...well, Aquarian's a good company, I guess, but their sound never stuck out for me. FWIW, my head of choice is Remo coated Emperor. Warm, full, with enough percussive 'tick' to let your brain know there's a stick involved, and durable as hell. IMHO, coated Emperors make ANY drum sound good if not great.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Hi GZsound, There are a lot of good cymbal packages at the music stores. I was looking in Musicians friend and saw this cymbal pack. These isn't a bad way to start off. You may need another cymbal stand. Here are a few deals at Musicians Friend.

ZBT 4-piece cymbal set, 14" hats, 20" ride, 16" crash, and a 18" china for $199.99 (Zildjian).

Also a ZXT series set 16" midium crash, 20" medium ride and 14" hats, $289.99.

ZXTPro 4 piece Box set, 16" midium thin crash, 20" midium ride, and 14" hats, $289.99

All sets come with sticks and cymbal bag. Here is a link to the mag. to check out their prices.

www.musiciansfriend.com

Hope this helps a little.

Jazzman :cool:

Thanks for all the info, folks. I have been cruising all my catalogues, AMS, Musicians Friend, zzounds, etc. and that's what actually lead to my confusion. So many choices for a total "cymbal minded" sax player to make.

I think I have settled on the Paiste although the whole exercise may be moot since we are auditioning a drummer tonight that has a set of Roland V drums..

At any rate, thanks all..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Archived