Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo guitarist and percussion with feet

LiveMusic

I saw this guy who had both feet on pedals triggering stuff. I called him and he recommended not doing what he did due to expense and my inexperience. I play solo guitar and am looking for something to augment it with percussion. I use tracks via my keyboard but I'd rather do it live on some (or all if it turns out good). He said start with two pedals, one for bass drum and one for high hat and see if I can get that going before spending too much. Any suggestions on what to get? I know zero about drums. I played drums in a concert band and marching band eons ago but that was just snare. I think I could pick it up eventually. This is just to give some extra zip to some solo acoustic guitar songs.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bump... don't know drum equipment... any suggestions on what to get for some accompaniment using feet? Heck, even if you tap your foot on a good floor with a hard sole boot, it helps. Some of the old blues guys, they used all sorts of stuff, I understand... to tap their feet on. I was just thinking of... like the guy told me... two pedals... one for high hat and one for bass drum. If any comments, thanks. Or if anyone knows of any kind of electronic rig triggered by feet.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

A friend of mine used to jam with a one-man-band kind of street blues guy. He played a mean electric guitar, sang the blues and played percussion with his feet. (My friend played Harmonica)

Anyway the guy played TWO hi-hats with his feet. Each hi hat had a tambourine or ching-ring on it so was more than just a chik when it closed. The hats were mounted on a board and he frequently took one foot off the hats and stomped on the board (miced up with a D-112) for some bass sound.

If it were me, I'd swap one of the hats for a little mini kick drum- maybe a mounted 16" frame drum and a pedal.

Strap some cymbals to your knees and knock them together...

If you are already lugging around a sound system you might as well go with electronics. Two trigger pedals (they are small) and a drum brain like an Alessis D4 and you can have any sound you want and vary it from song to song. The D4 can accept trigger inputs. There are pedals called the F.A.T. and the H.A.T. that are simple and don't require you to set up a vertical surface.

• 2 weeks later...
Livemusic, there's short article in the most recent guitar player mag that features a guy in a space helmet doing exactly what you want to do. My suggestion would be to check out ebay get some cheap used stuff and see if you like the sounds/feel of it. Personally, I like the bass pedal fitted with a cowbell. :D
"I believe that if it were left to artists to choose their own labels, most would choose none." - Ben Shahn

Archived