Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

tuning drums

SolipsismX

i'm using a ddrum 4 and looking to record some songs. I read somewhere that you are supposed to make sure your kick is in the key of the song. This made me wonder what note is the the kick supposed to be in and for that matter, every other drum.

So what drums should be in key and what note should they be tuned to if I'm in, say, c major? The ddrum's got a standard 3 tom setup by the way.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an example of people taking an ostensibly good idea & trying to make a rule out of it.

There's some validity in trying to make drums "more musical" by tuning them to pitches used by other instruments...but if you consider the reality of a band playing several songs you'll see the Near impossibility of fully following this method.

I'd suggest that you note the dominant pitches played at the drum hits & tune accordingly...but I'd also point out that if you tune to the same pitch & also follow the (similarly overstressed) rule of having the bass & bass drum lock up, that the drum will be less distinguishable. You might try tuning to a related pitch.

Archived