Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need recomendations on Hart/Pintech/Yamaha/Roland

Infusion

I need to install electronic drums into my home project studio, and I don't want to disturb the neighbors.

I want a nice set, but I don't want to spend $4000. I figure a moderate kit with snare, HH, bass,(2)toms and (2)cymbals. I want it to sound like an acoustic set. I'm not interested in having a library of 100 or 1000 sounds or whatever.

I know about Roland. Seems pricey to me. The Hart Dynamics and Pintechs are more reasonable.

Can I get away with spending $1000 for an electric kit. I DO want the drummer to be able to get his groove on.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though not a drummer myself (I am a recording studio owner), I can tell you that you can find used electronics sets for around $1000. Good ones too!

I personally tend to stay away from ebay, but many musicians always buy equipments, instruments, etc. on it. So, you ca look there.

Also, your local Sunday Classifieds is another very good play to find good deals on used instruments and/or gear.

"Used" does not necessarily mean anything these days, as there are many people who will by something and just let it set around with barely any useage at all.

Hope this helps!

BTW...we track an electronic Roland kit for an album that went international and the "stock" kit that the drummer used sounded great!

:cool:

Even though

Haven Music Productions

Tampa, FL

www DOT havenmp DOT com

I highly recommend the Roland V-Club kit..the V-Club is rubber pads, but it hasnt been a problem for me....three toms, two cymbals (dual zone and chokable), kick, snare, hihat..I got mine brand new for $1050, might be able to find one cheaper used...

Bang for the buck, a great deal is the Hart Prodigy kit with mesh pads and the Alesis DM5 module for $750 new at Musicians Friend....Pintech makes a similiar Pad set, $700 without the brain, but pick up a used Alesis DM5 or even a DM Pro and you might be able to get it under $1000...Yamaha now has a new improved DTXpress kit with a triple zone snare for $1000...

the advantage to buying new is its plug and play and if it doesnt work you send it back....buying used is a dice throw with electronic kits...you never know what your buying....you could get a great deal, or you could end up buying a piece of junk....

I put together a kit piece meal once, and for less than a $1000...I recommend it only if you have the time to shop around for individual components....I picked up a Gibraltar rack for around $250, three Pintech single mesh pads, two Roland Cy-6 e-cymbals, a kick trigger, a hat trigger, cables, and an Alesis DM pro...all used, from Ebay, Harmony-Central classifieds, Drumbalaya, and the V-drum.com classifieds....I ended up selling that kit and actually made money...

It's a bit more than $1000 but you might want to check out a ddrum kit. The ddrum4 goes for around $2400 but you could probably find one used (or not, most people who have them won't part with it).

I think the ddrum is much more realistic sounding than the others. YMMV.

If you haven't heard of the ddrum check out ddrum

The Ddrum is by far the closest to an acoustic kit.....you might be able to find one used anywhere in the $1500 to $1750 range....

the Alesis DM pro drum module is the only other cheaper alternative to the Ddrum that I know of that resembles acoustic sounds....the DM pro is compatible with virtually any pad set....I've seen the DM pro used going for around $450....

I have been happy with my odd little kit. It started as an SP-11 kit, then I added a TD-8 and PD120 VPad for snare. It is small, works well for me.

I record hi-hat as audio and the entire kit as MIDI. That way I can patch in better drum samples using Battery but keep the more realistic hi-hat of the Roland. I say more realistic because variations of pedal pressure effects the looseness of the hi-hat sound.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I get some pretty realistic midi hihats from Battery when I record from my V-Club kit and the td-6 module...I got the Blue Jay Ambient kits in SF2 format from www.sonicimplants.com and the hats and cymbals are right on the money...very reasonable, each kit about $25, and you get a decent amount of samples....the hats from the Blue Jays kits sound a million times better than anything I've heard from any Roland, Alesis, or Ddrum module, or the stock kits that come with Battery....

Archived