Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

John French

I  I mjrn

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't comment on his playing technically, Nose, but I sure love it!

He also played on some recordings (at least two releases) with Richard Thompson, Fred Frith & someone else whose name escapes me at the moment. These were issued under their collective names (Frith, etc) between the mid-1980s ~early 1990s.

One (the first) was titled Live,Love,Larf&Loaf.

I know on some of the Beefheart material he used, at Beefheart's insistence, such things as cardboard mufflers on the cymbals & toms.

For those who haven't heard him, he's very polyrhythmic but not much like your usual jazzer; in fact, he often deliberately sounds like an old blues shuffler who is about to lose it altogether only to bring it all in at the last moment. :D

Thanks for the link, Bartman!

Originally posted by d:

I can't comment on his playing technically, Nose, but I sure love it!

He also played on some recordings (at least two releases) with Richard Thompson, Fred Frith & someone else whose name escapes me at the moment.

That would be Henry Kaiser

These were issued under their collective names (Frith, etc) between the mid-1980s ~early 1990s.

One (the first) was titled Live,Love,Larf&Loaf.

French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson. Awesome CDs. The second is entitled "Invisible Means".

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived