Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Quieter" Crash Cymbals For Recording?

gmd

I have an on-going problem when recording drums. My crash cymbals tend to be too loud on the overhead drum mics. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to solve it? I have a couple of Zildjian and Paiste medium crashes, and was wondering if there are types or sizes of crash cymbals that are less loud in a recording situation. I have heard that the dark/thin Zildjian cymbal line is good for this, but have no experience with them. Anyone have any opinions or tips on this? Thanks...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the reply, Hank. Someone else suggested that also, but it's hard for me to think of that while I'm playing. Does anyone else have an opinion or experience with this problem? Thanks...

Medium doesn't tell us much. I'll bet your 20" Zildjian Z is louder than my 14" A Custom, and my 14" A Custom is louder than a 14" paper thin. Think about smaller (14" & 16") thin cymbals, although the tone may be drasticaly different from what you're used to.

Maybe the question you should be asking is: Are my overheads placed properly? Jeff Porcaro used to use large crash cymbals in the studio and he managed somehow. Maybe you can pull the overheads up a bit. You might also be getting bleed into the tom mics if the cymbals are close to the toms.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Thanks guys. Has anybody used the Zildjian Dark series? I've been told that a Dark Series Thin crash, maybe 14"-16" would be what I need, but I hate to buy one and then find out it doesn't help...

Hi gmd. I've had similar problems too in the studio. Sometimes adjustment of the mics do wonders in the final mix down. The mics should be up high to start with, depending on what type you have.

One way would be to use the simple "X" pattern for the overheads. That is to have a mic placed on one side of the set behind the drummer, off to the side and facing the other side of the set. Do the same with the other mic opposite hand. This will allow the crash sound to disipate quicker before it is picked up by the mic. You will ge a stereo set up doing this too.

Depending on the type of mic, point the mic on the ride cymbals and not on the crashes(in the same "X" pattern).

Just a thought to play with.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived