Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chopsticks as Drumsticks

JDL

Ok, I don't hang around here that much, but the other night(my b-day) we went to a Chinese restaurant. So, when we left, I got some chopsticks and started pumping a beat. BTW, I'm a bassist. Not really signifigant, just wondering...................

Have you ever gotten some little thing/real drumsticks that you found and just started tapping on your knee/bugging the people around you? See, bassists can keep a beat, too.

Also, have you ever used chopsticks as drum sticks?

Well, here is an even broader question: Have you ever used something other than drumsticks, and used them as drumsticks(der)? If so, what was it?

This post may seem dumb, but its not.

JDL,

peace

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely. What else would you do while waiting for your food to arrive?

I've used pencils, pens, screwdrivers, broomhandles (no quick moves, but they'll do in a pinch).

Constantly using my fingers and bare hands (my steering wheel has odd wear patterns due to this). I too am a bottom dweller, but I love to drum on things - even my drums from time to time.

Originally posted by Gerrg:

Definitely. What else would you do while waiting for your food to arrive?

I've used pencils, pens, screwdrivers, broomhandles (no quick moves, but they'll do in a pinch).

Constantly using my fingers and bare hands (my steering wheel has odd wear patterns due to this). I too am a bottom dweller, but I love to drum on things - even my drums from time to time.

Me too, but I'm a guitar player and drummer. Only thing I've ever used on my drums is my sticks and fingers.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

OK, how about things other than drums for drums...?

Take one of those 5 gal. water bottles, & sample it being struck---great bass sound!

Next, poke a hole in it's bottom, tape that up, fill it with water & record a drum roll on it while the water drains out---instant Syndrums!

Living, in Hong Kong, all we do is eat with Chopsticks... so that is actually How I started playing drums... Picing up whatever implements that I had and started banging away... Parents got annoyed, but if you have a right kinda table... the Chopsticks make great sticks, for practicing rudiments...
"I'm the key figure in an on-going government charade, the plot to conceal the truth about the existence of extraterrestrials. It's a global conspiracy, actually, with key players in the highest levels of power, that reaches down into the lives of every man, woman, and child on this planet. So, of course, no one believes me. I'm an annoyance to my superiors, joke to my peers. They call me Spooky. Spooky Mulder, whose sister was abducted by aliens when he was just a kid and who now chases after little green men with a badge and a gun, shouting to the heavens or to anyone who will listen that the fix is in, that the sky is falling and when it hits it's gonna be the shit-storm of all time." - Agent Fox Mulder FBI

Believe it or not, my stick bag ALWAYS has a pair of chopsticks in there; I never leave home without them.

I use chopsticks for light/delicate cymbal work, and also play some very cool sounding remix grooves using them on the HiHat and Snare. The Snare drum sounds especially cool when playing rimshots with the chopsticks. They can make a 5.5x14 snare sound like a 6x10. :cool:

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Chopsticks look somewhat like timbale sticks but are not as flimsy.

As for other drums I used a lot of stuff. Freezer boxes and canned ham containers holding pennies made up my first drum set in high school. The barn at my parents house still have 5 oil drums that I once filled with various amounts of water to tune them. I also use the steering wheel and recently drove co-workers crazy on a five hour drive to a training session in Atlanta. I cannot listen to the radio without drumming along.

The worst thing I started was keeping rhythm with my teeth. Gritting them back and forth to keep a beat. This started in high school band when I spent too much time writing and learning drum cadences.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I've done all of the above, but my first set of drums were books, a grate from a freezer with a chain on it for a cymbal. I never played on the Bible.......HAHA!!

I would always drive my wife nuts all of the time tapping my fingers, pencils, pens, paper tube holders, welding rods, etc.

I used to play on anything that made a sound too. One day I was harmonizing with a fuel pump motor, a conveyor chain drive motor and me as the third part! It or I can't be helped! :D

Jazzman :cool:

Archived