Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on what to look for when buying a used kit?

totemspock

As I posted in another thread recently, I am considering buying a used Pearl BRX kit. Sizes are: 22", 10", 12" and 16". The snare drum is not a BRX drum (it´s a very cheap, not good one) so I have to buy another one. When I go and visit the guy who´s selling the kit, what should I look for? What can happen to drums that has been in the bussiness for some years. I don´t think he has done any touring with them or something like that. Also, since the snare is of very poor quality I thought that you could give me some advice on what snaredrum I can buy? It´s a jungel out there so I thought that I would keep it simple and stick to Pearl snare drums. But if you have other tips, they are welcome to! At a local music store they are selling a Steve Ferrone (don´t know who he is)signature snare drum. What do you think about that one? I play mainly rock and pop music. I want a snare drum that is warm, but still sticks through a complex "soundimage" (I don´t think I used the right word there but...)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a used set this summer, and one problem I found (after I bought them :( ) was that some of the lugs for tensioning the head had stripped screw threads where they bolted to the shell. I used to work as a machinist, so re-threading the holes wasn't a problem but it still upset me a little.

Test them out if possible. Check the rims and bearing edges of the shells for warps and dents. Check to make sure that the shells aren't cracked! I ordered a set of drums from musician's friend, and it arrived with the bass drum shell cracked and the rims warped. I sent it back and we tried it again. The second set was cracked. I sent it back and got a refund. I'm glad I did, because I then went and found the Ludwigs I've got now. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

WOW bluestrat that was a mess to deal with. I try to buy my gear face to face at the store. I have purchased from time to time a few items through a cat., but to me that is risky.

Stripped items would seem to be the worst thing to deal with, including drum stands. Screwed in items on the drums would be another item I would look at. Sometimes the holes where the screws go through may be larger than they need to be and the drum is a little sloppy on the stand.

Just a thought.

Jazzman :cool:

Originally posted by Jazzman:

WOW bluestrat that was a mess to deal with. I try to buy my gear face to face at the store. I have purchased from time to time a few items through a cat., but to me that is risky.

I've never had any trouble with ordering pedals or even the P-bass I ordered, but the drums were wrecked twice. It was a pain, but I learned a lesson about buying certain items through the mail.

The funny thing is that the drum(s) I bought off of e-bay always arrived un-scathed!

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived