Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nick Mason vs. Andy Newmark / Graham Broad

Imbecilia

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Newmark is miles ahead of either of the other two. Listen to "The Final Cut." When you get around to "Two Suns In The Sunset," (Newmark), he puts the rest of the album (performed by Mason) to shame.

I can't comment much on Graham Broad. What I've heard of him on Roger's albums is solid, but someone clinical, drumming.

Now, Nick back in the Live at Pompeii era was just what was needed for the music they were doing at that time. He was a more interesting drummer back then.

Just for the record.

Nothing at all against Andy Newmark, I totally dig him. But I have to give the nod to Nick. He's just got that groove thang.

The thing that's so cool to me about Floyd is that they're very experimental and progressive and technically proficient AND YET have also always been tasteful, solid and soulful. Nick is a lot of the reason for that.

Nick Mason does not attract attention to his playing so he is not known as such but for a languid mid to slow tempo groove he has a unique feel i think delicate attention to tom and snare dynamics moreso than most and actually considers cymbals to be capable of more than just a loud blur of white noise newmark is great and perfectly generic in the process which is what i suppose one wants in a studio drummer whatever happened to mark bryzcki anyhow?

Interesting what you folks say about Nick's playing personality. I'm the biggest Floyd fan in the universe, but I don't hear much personality there. I hear a nice, pleasant, laid back groove. Nothing against the guy, he's good for Pink Floyd.

But have you guys listened much to Andy? Have you listened to what he did with Floyd and Roger? That guy oozed personality. Listen to Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking. It isn't like Andy's normal studio stuff. He's just got so much style on that album. Since the question was in regards to Floyd and Roger, I've never heard better drumming on an album Roger wrote than that one.

Interesting thing about Floyd. Lots of part replacement going on with their albums that was undocumented. Much of the bass on Animals and The Wall was done by Gilmour. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure the drumming on Mother (the wall) was Jeff Pocaro.

Just for the record.

Archived