Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland TD-8

trator

I-ve just bought a Roland TD-8KV (kit and sound module). The sounds are amazing. I recorded a song in my homestudio and...WOW!!!! I could never expected that. Everything is ready to go (even the "pan"). All we have to do is adjust de volumes of each peace and...just rec-play. Am I dreaming? Some said to me several artists are using virtual drums on their records and the public let be fooled by the realistics sounds. Is it true? What do you all think about that. I´m really shocked.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad to say, but drummers are a dying breed.

I disagree. The machine will never replace the real drummer. It's impossible. Live drummers have a feel and connection that just can't be duplicated. I'm a Fusion and Acid Jazz keyboard player. Try playing that to a machine...................I wouldn't even want to try !!!!

I have been looking at the Roland TD8 module and wondering how it compares to the TD10 in sound quality. My primary desire is to at least hook a VDrum snare to it. The rest of the needed parts can be swapped from my SP-11 kit.

As far as drummers being a dying breed? As a drummer turned keyboardists I am still a drummer at heart. Most keyboardists or computer musicians don't have a clue about timing and feel. After a few years of playing drums you will either start getting comments about how good your "feel" is or you wonder why your are not getting jobs with better bands. Now that I think about it, drummers spend years with polyrhythms, mixing parts from different frequency ranges, working with percussionists to create new rhythmic blends. It is no wonder that good drummers make the best computer musicians. :D

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Rabid:

It is no wonder that good drummers make the best computer musicians. :D

Robert

As a drummer turned keyboardist/programmer I have to whole heartedly agree with the above. :)

When I went electronic my first purchase was a drum machine, but it was too mechanical, and just didn't have that live vibe. Next I purchased a DK-10. That was better, it still didn't really do it for me.

Finally, got a set of v-drums, and my quest was complete.

Live drummers can't be replaced in the same way that live keyboardist's can't be replaced.

Robert: re the TD-10 vs. TD-8. I would think the TD-8 would be more than enough for you needs -- esp. if all you intend to do is to use it for a snare, as the snare on the TD-8 also has positioning sensing on the input.

But if you really enjoying playing, bet you anything that you'll eventually end up expanding beyond a snare! :D

-bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Archived