Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

V drums for a project studio? I don't want the neighbors to complain..

Infusion

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go for it.

I've had a pair of drum sticks in my hands since I was 7 yrs old. I've played on this type of set for hours in drum shops and at the Guitar Center in MI. I really like them. Can get them to sound as close as to the real thing. The new cymbals that have multiple triggers on them are the best so far. I own a studio and have a 7 piece Export set in it but......the V-Drums are on my list to purchase. Great for a studio, as well as appartment playing.

I can't believe that any drummer would have any problem using them. The mesh skins have great rebound. Like anything else electronic, care must be taken. If they have an extended warrenty on them I would get it just in case. I think the're great! The electronic triggers can go bad in time. Don't know what the replacement costs are, but you can ask the store manager for that info.

My .02 worth.......

Jazzman :cool:

peace,

i would say it depends on what kind of productions you are doing.

i had it in my brooklyn bedroom studio for one year but when i relocated to italy in a farm house i found myself playing it ever less.

i ended up selling it to get some nice mics and pres to record my acoustic traps.

they're nice and versatile and probably the only serious choice in your situation.

but don't expect them to replace a real kit, just like no keyboard could ever replace a grand piano.

take care.

i have a set, in fact they were bought at a discount on the basis that omar hakim had used them for a gig in marin, so he signed my snare head and i bought the 'used' kit with his performance settings still in tact =)

i'm not a real drummer, but i've had several of my old drumming friends pop by and use them usually with their chins on the floor. the feel is amazingly good, the technology has overcome all of the older concerns of using triggers.

v-drums are completely tuneable along all digital axis, so you can adjust your kevlar heads to feel the way you'd like, or close, but you can also adjust things like responsiveness.

couldn't do that with older drum brains. the v-drums range of dynamics is pretty impressive as well.

if you are in an apartment, here's what you'll hear: go find a sturdy piece of polyester, like your car's dash board, and hit it hard as you can with a stick. there's your loudest volume (not counting the part where you lose your stick and it flies across the room and nails the lamp).

there is however one issue in apartments: your kick. the metal action in the kick pedal, as well as any tendency to stomp hard on the kick, will drive your downstairs neighbor nuts if you have one.

there are still workarounds tho, if you can go find yourself a thick matt of some kind (which will fit under you and the kit completely), then you can usually absorb this banging sound from your neighbor's roof.

for your circumstances, v-drums really couldn't be any better.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

One more question, I see there are a few models of V drum.

1. For the best feel, should I go for the studio version with heads that resemble those of real drums.(as opposed to the basic model with heads that look like practice pads)

2. Should I go for the premium cymbals that look like real cymbals?

From what it sounds like, the V Drums look like a good bet. I just need to hammer out the details of which model to get. It's important that I set it up, so that drummers can "get their groove on".

What do you think?

I'd go for the Roland V Session Set. Out-a-site! If there is a Studio version.....might be the same as the Session Set, don't know.

The multitrigger cymbal is "Big Ones"! :love:

That is what I would get for my studio. Drull,Drull!

1. Forget the rubber pad stuff, does't pick up everything that I want to hear as a drummer, pads are limited.

2. Yes, I would get the outstanding trigger system for the cymbals.

Be careful...... other drummers may give you a big HUG!!! HAHA!! :D Keep Pampers close by for them!

Just my honest opinion.......

My fad-out.....

Jazzman :cool:

these things are completely modular and connect with standard 1/4 inch adapters almost everywhere.

the terminology on triggers:

older term "zones" - single zone and dual zones refer to the soundable surfaces, and they make the distinction because single zones only need a mono patch cable, where duals need stereo.

with the v-drum snare trigger for example, hitting the kevlar head will produce a snare head sound (v-drums will produce a wide range of sounds within that zone as well, depending on velocity, placement, etc). that's one zone. hitting the rim will produce another tone altogether (rim shot).

as jazzman states, the cymbals are really nice in this regard, but so are the kevlar heads that let you work out to the rims for a really light touch.

the brains are the real factor tho. best advice i can give is the one i named above, it's the latest model that i know of, but i'm sure there are more now, two years after the fact.

--_ ______________ _

"Self-awareness is the key to your upheaval from mediocrity."

the MAIN differences among ALL the v-drums:

1. number of discrete outputs on the sound module ("the brain"). you will go from stereo outs on the td-6 to individual trigger outs on the td-10. if you're going to spend any time recording audio, more outs will be preferable (unless you're going midi). all the modules sound good, some just have more tweaks and sounds, that's all.

2. pads: the mesh pads have better sensitivity/response than the rubber ones and are more durable. same deal with the higher end "cymbals." also hart and pintech sell pads and kits with the same or similar mesh heads. you could mix and match pads depending on your needs (e.g., mesh, dual trigger pad for snare use and rubber for toms....)

and all of this is moot if you've got cash! if you have the $$$, it's a no brainer to buy the best you can.

p.s. i think the hart site is the one with some useful commentary on the various drum modules from mr. hart himself.

Archived