Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Proper drum tuning? Requires Lubrication?

C_F_H_13

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well actually a well maintained kit would get lug lubing on a regular basis, to aid in them having a smooth, even turning torque. this would, ina sense, help aid in tuning, as sticking or partially rusty lugs woudl be harder to accurately turn.

Maybe you weren't so drunk afterall!!!!!

Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

White grease is sometimes useful to use on older threads and cheaper kits. Oil of any kind is a bad idea and stuff like WD-40 can be a heartbreaker when it gets on some finishes. Some kit manufacturers used to supply a small plastic washer for use under the tension rod collar. This would lower the torque required to start the rod turning - particularly at high tension, like on a snare drum.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I use a teflon spray lube on my pedals and I decided to try it on my tension rods to prevent binding and facilitate ease of tuning and the result was disappointing. After a relatively

short time playing, several lugs de-tuned readily, apparently because of the ease at which the rods loosened!! I tried to remove the lubricant with a number of solvents; alcohol,acetone,paint thinner,flux remover... to no avail, they're still slippery. I installed

-10- R-T index tension tuners on the snare to at least keep the batter stable but I keep plenty of keys handy for the other 88 rods.

I guess my intentions were good but the lesson for me here is keep em dry.

Archived