Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Do You Mic Your Kick Drum?

KenElevenShadows

Two mics? Where is the mic inside the kick drum exactly? Where is the mic outside the kick drum, if you use one? What kind of drum mics do you use for the kick?

I've been using two mics on the kick drum for a few years, usually a dynamic, such as (depending on what kind of sound we're chasing after) an AKG D112, Sennheiser 421U, or even a Shure SM 57 inside, usually 4 inches or so from the skin, pointed at the floor tom almost, and slightly down. Seems to work okay. I use this as the starting position, and then move it around until I can get it right.

Then, there is the outside mic. I usually use a condenser for this, like an Audio Technica AT4049 or 4051. Does anyone use an omni for this? Or do you usually go cardioid? I move this all over, so it really depends. Sometimes going for more shell, sometimes for more skin. Really depends. Where do you put this mic, usually?

I'm just really curious. I really like a kick drum sound that is solid and hits you in the chest, and was wondering how people do it here. Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I use only one mic that is located within the bass drum on a small stand. The mic that I use is an ATM 25. I place it in the middle of the drum slightly facing past the beater on about a 10 deg angle. I also use some acoustic treatment within the drum in the studio. Works fine for me.

Jazzman :cool:

Archived