Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Drum Heads

TMWdrmr8

I was just wondering...when watching most rock videos, I see a lot of drummers using bass drum heads on the resonant side that have 2 or sometimes even 3 holes in them. Does this create a different sound than the traditional single hole? Also, can you buy bass drum heads like these with multiple holes cut into them, or do the artists cut the additional holes themselves?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good question & I'd like to hear a real drummer's answer.

I'm just a multi-instrumentalist with a pretty good knowledge of acoustics so this may not be "spot-on" but the first thing that occured to me is that a single-hole head has no center therefore the tension may not be as consistent as a head that has a center...maybe.

Who've you seen using these ?

thanks for your idea!... I've seen quite a few drummers using heads like these, to name a few: Travis Barker of Boxcar Racer and Blink 182, Steve-o from Sum 41, Joey Jordison of Slipknot, and the drummer from Down. These are all I can think of right now... I think the heads I've seen are all Remo but I'm not positive.

thanks for your idea!... I've seen quite a few drummers using heads like these, to name a few: Travis Barker of Boxcar Racer and Blink 182, Steve-o from Sum 41, Joey Jordison of Slipknot, and the drummer from Down. These are all I can think of right now... I think the heads I've seen are all Remo but I'm not positive.

Archived