Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum treatments, what do you get?

tuchel

I may be mic-ing up a set soon, last time out it was nice, but ringy. What's the story on oil filled heads, or dead ringers or other treatments for getting the drums fat and sweet. All impressions appreciated, and other suggestions (assuming the tuning is already good) will be helpful.

Thanks;

tuchel

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where02190 is right dude. You don't need any of that stuff. All I ever need is a little peace of tape with a folded up kleenex underneath. That's probably even too much deadning for some people. If you can tune the drums to a PITCH THEY CAN REPRODUCE, you'll get a great, almost perfect tone every time.

Peace,

When you say ringy, do you mean ring (an annoying high pitched whine) or do you mean sustain?

If the drums are ringy then tune then properly. If the drums have sustain then enjoy the moment. For my toms, which have pretty good sustain (and usually no muffling whatsoever), I often mic 2-3 inches off the head. This reduces the stick attack a little and gives you more tone.

Of course, go with what the song needs first, sometimes a muffled sound works best.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Archived