Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Drums are these?

tomaerovons.com

In so much of rock stuff today, it's become common to hear a song that uses some kind of tiny sounding, small, hip hop kit, just before the "normal" drum kit comes in. You can hear this in everyone from Korn to Sheryl Crow. Once in awhile, you can tell it's just a filtered 909 set or the like, but other times, it actually sounds almost like a toy....like a little casio thing or the like.

It's a cool sound but Im just wondering what people are using for these small hip hop beats, that seem like they are virtually everywhere today....any ideas appreciated!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tom@hartmanmusic.com:

In so much of rock stuff today, it's become common to hear a song that uses some kind of tiny sounding, small, hip hop kit, just before the "normal" drum kit comes in. You can hear this in everyone from Korn to Sheryl Crow. Once in awhile, you can tell it's just a filtered 909 set or the like, but other times, it actually sounds almost like a toy....like a little casio thing or the like.

It's a cool sound but Im just wondering what people are using for these small hip hop beats, that seem like they are virtually everywhere today....any ideas appreciated!

Thankfully, you can't say that about some of my rock faves...a tiny set would be crushed, literally! (Well, maybe not, but they'd be at least thrown to the dumpster...)

No such use for things for guys like these:

Pete Sandoval

Neil Peart

Mike Portnoy

Scott Travis

Dave Lombardo (you might hear some bongos from him, though)

Michel Langevin (he makes even a four piece sound HUGE)

There, I've said my piece...

Archived