Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earl Palmer!

Lee Flier

I just got back from a visit to Los Angeles, my home town. I caught lots of great music there, but one of the cooler things about the trip was getting to see Earl Palmer at a tiny bar in the Valley, playing with his jazz trio.

For those who aren't familiar with Palmer, the guy probably literally invented rock drumming, although he considers himself a jazz drummer who just did rock sessions for the money. He's from New Orleans and began his career as a jazz and bop drummer, then became the "go-to" drummer for hire in the 50's, 60's and 70's. That was Palmer on all the big Little Richard and Fats Domino hits, as well as Ritchie Valens, Sam Cooke and untold numbers of others, even the Beach Boys. Hearing Earl Palmer should erase any doubt that the roots of rock'n'roll rhythms came from anywhere but New Orleans jazz and blues.

Anyhow, what a treat to see the man up close, and he's playing with a KILLER pianist and bassist. Just hearing him solo on a cowbell and kick drum was amazing. His old pal Lou Rawls was also in attendance and sat in for several numbers. We talked to Palmer during a break and he's an amazing character, managing to be both gracious and tough at once, a real no-B.S. kind of guy.

Palmer also a book out called "Backbeat: Earl Palmer's Story" which looks totally fascinating... our bass player bought a copy and had him sign it, and we read a bit of it on the plane home. What a life that guy has had. And the selected discography in the back will blow your mind. I knew Palmer had played on a lot of important stuff but had no idea just how much. Any rock, R&B or jazz drummer should check out this book, and if you happen to be in the L.A. area, check out the man in person while you still have the chance, it's a real treat.

--Lee

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's 78, and still drumming his heart out. He does have guests sit in for part of the night, but he played one full set and about two thirds of the second before calling anyone else up. Really an inspiration for anybody who thinks you can't drum when you're old. :)

Yes indeed!

I didn't realize this until recently, but the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame just a couple of years ago created a new category for "sidemen", designed for people like Earl Palmer who were so integral to the creation of rock'n'roll yet largely were unknown because they were "hired guns". Here\'s Earl's page on the Hall of Fame web site... keep in mind that the recordings referenced in the article are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how many huge records, movie and TV soundtracks this guy played on.

My god those Little Richard hits just explode- you can barely hear the drumming but man can you feel it! Like to climb the walls!

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived