Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to EQ drums?

Nagash

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many variables that it's hard to give advice without hearing the drums. Make sure that the drums are tuned properly. That is the most important thing.

I know that my snare and toms sound good without EQ and my bass drum only gets very minimal EQ. Is there a particluar sound or effect that you are trying to achieve?

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I'm with dwarf. If the drums sound great to begin with and the right mics go in the right places, little or no EQ should be called for.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

well - I´m just going for the sound that my drums already have acoustically .... I just know that sometimes sound engineers end up making my snare sound "boxxy" and also - I like my drums to give as much sound as possible (ie. getting them to resonate as much as possible) - but that doesn´t always sound so great through a mic... (but thats a "gating" issue...)

Lastly - Above anything else, I´m just very much interested in learning as much as possible about getting drum sounds.... like a great heavy metal kick or a dance-kick etc....

Could you point to a magazine or homepage or ANYTHING (hehe) that could satisfy my longing for knowledge?... :)

There's great info on Massenbergs' forum here if you do a search.

See the link I provided on the thread on overheads on this forum. It's current. That's some good info.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Nagash, yeah, there's a lot of good stuff on George Massenburg's forum about getting drum sounds.

If you like your drums to resonate and the engineer can't deal with it, get another engineer. Don't let them put duct tape all over your drums, and gates really suck too if you really like the drums to ring out.

If the snare sounds "boxy" (a very common problem with recording) then the engineer is either using the wrong mic or placing it wrong. Usually that "boxiness" is in the 500Hz range and the snare drum often needs a cut in that area at mixdown. Sometimes a little boost in the 5-7K range can help bring out the "crack" of the snare too.

The best thing you as the drummer can do to ensure that your drum recordings turn out well is to make sure you have decent heads on your drums and that you've tuned them well. Also minimize squeaks and unnecessary rattles in your pedals, hardware and snares. If all that stuff is sounding good in the room, and the room isn't too acoustically terrible, there's no good reason why the engineer shouldn't be able to get a good recorded sound and accurately capture the sound of your drums.

Best thing you can do is go rap on someone's door who knows what they are doing. If they can't teach, move onto someone else who can.

So many people will explode with information and in the process, you can buy them some pizza. Doesn't take much! Make sure you throw a salad in there - Gotta keep these guys healthy ;)

|||Brian

It depends on the setting. Playing live, or recording? For live sound, use your sweepable mids. For recording, go straight sound, with no effects, or EQ. Most of all, just experiment. If you like your sound, try to duplicate it through the sound system. Watch the low end, as always, bass drum doesn't neccesarily need more low end added. "OVERKILL" :thu:

This is David from Professional Affordable Drum Tracks. www.drumtracks.moonfruit.com

In response to your question, How to Eq drums?

I find the best overall eq setting for drums is the Classic V Figure. (30 band or more seems to get the best results) This pulls your Bass Drum Frequencies to the top and also fattens up the toms.

Your Hi Hats and cymbals will come to life in a crisp translucent sound.

The next (must) is compression! Choose your compression setting to your taste and for the song. You will notice a HUGE difference in the way your drums are represented. I prefer vocal compressors on drums (especially the snare) as apposed to drum presets.

Last but not least...Reverb! Never underestimate the power of Reverb! Ever wonder why your drums sound like cardboard boxes? Not enough (or NO) Reverb. They don't have to be so wet they hum, but give them just enough to bring them to life.

When you have experimented with these three techniques you begin to hear the strengths and limitations of the particalar drumkit you have.

This will get you headed in the correct direction.

David

Profesional Affordable Drum Tracks

www.drumtracks.moonfruit.com

• 3 weeks later...

toms are about the only thing i can offer help on with a consistant EQ that *I* use is i boost a tad with a parametric in the low mids [and hp filter all except the floor... which i shelve if the kick is making it vibrate too] and then cut a tad in the weird resonation area [gotta just sweep it while boosting it to find the ugliest frequency] and then maybe add a top shelf to get some attack back... works for me every time. cant give you numbers on it though. thats something you have to listen for.

kick and snare though i rarely EQ... i will HP the kick @ 20-40 hz to get rid of too much southern mud. and i HP the snare @ 100hz... maybe add a tint of the crack up between 3k to 5k. hollow out some of the box in the low mids [but not too much which takes away from the power of the hit]

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

I've posted this before but it seems appropriate to your question also.

I talked with an engineer some time ago about his drums sounds. I wanted to know how he acheived his sound. I asked what mic's ?... what positions ?... how much the room influenced his sound,... EQ, mic-pre's, ... etc...?

95% of his answer was dedicated to the drums themselves. What size ? What kit ? Even what year ? Cymbals, hi-hats, rides, size, thin, thick, ? It was like a visit to a vintage car show where it seemed like he knew every detail of every kit manufactured. Make, model, year, etc....

He said he would select the components of the kit carefully according to the sound he was after.

So, you can see, that it's difficult to give an answer to your EQ question when you can have so many variables.

But, I do agree with alphjerk. HPF'ing out the kik can reduce alot of un-necessary rumble. It could end up tighter and punchier without as much sub-sonic flab. It really depends though.

eightyeightkeys

Archived