Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum patterns

week end warrior

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks for the quick response. I fronted a band for several years and now am just trying to program a drum machine for my own personal use so I don't lose track of my timing. I really have gained a new respect for a drummer. I had several good ones in my band but really took them for granted. Now I realize I know nothing about drums I can sit down and peck out a beat on the pads but putting it in the right time and such is another story. Russel

I understand the HH 8th's and the snare but the kick 1,3,3+ you got me there... I am pretty green at this have been programing from a program book but am still looking for some personal stuff for like jerry lee lewis and fifties rock and slow country. Just the basic one bar stuff for now that keeps me on track .. Russel

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Russel:

I understand the HH 8th's and the snare but the kick 1,3,3+ you got me there...

I'm just jumping in here but the numbers (as you might imagine) are the beats & the plus sign is the "and" after the beat.

A common way of verbalizing 4/4 beats(actually any rhythm is

"1-e-&-a/2-e-&-a/3-e-&-a/4-e-&-a"

with the "e-&-a" equaling the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th 16th notes in each beat.

The cited example could also be graphed (in 16th beats) as

[1--- ---- 3-&- ----].

I'm no drummer either but I found working with drum machines to be an excellent way of better understanding & recognizing rhythms.

If you're just interested in a "metronomic" effect any simple thing that keeps you in time will work, of course, but you might examine/explore such things as the difference between triplets & "16th note pickups" or any other feels that fit the music styles you play.

One way of starting might be to program the bass drum to match the rhythm of a piece, then sync the machine's tempo to that of the music. If you get them accurately in sync, then you can try adding the other appropriate percussion sounds to see how to match what the drummer/percussionist played.

You may be surprised at how quickly you can begin to recognize what's being played; it also makes it easier to describe what you want from a drummer if you can actually name the beats you want them to play.

This applies to any instrument, really, & your increased rhythmic recognition skills will help you in all areas of your work---playing, writing , arranging, etc.

I really appreciate any and all help with this new project on the drum machine. I played in a band but it has been several years ago. I miss the music and like to play and record for my own enjoyment now. I used to think I was a pretty fair rhythm guitar player and really did not pay attention to the drums at all just was lucky enough to have had several really good drummers over the years. I will take you advice and work on it some more. Thanks loads.

On a drum machine there is an outstanding click when you begin to record the drum patterns. That click is the first beat(or down beat) in a 4/4 time pattern. That is the point where the bass drum begins, at least for the following simple pattern. Bass Drum(BD). The (.)is a rest period.

1 1 1

BD...BD...BD... etc.

234 234

The hi-hat(HH) is hit on the 3rd click

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1

BD . HH . BD . HH . BD etc.

The snare hits(SD) on at the sane time as the Hi-hat.

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

BD . HH . BD . HH .

SD SD

The cymbal ©would be continuous with the beat

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

BD . HH . BD . HH .

SD SD

c c c c c c c c

That's it. The tempo is the beat speed that you want to hear. Look at the manual if you have one , if you don't you might be able to down load a copy of it off of the NET.

What sort of drum mach. do you have?

Jazzman :cool:

Hey Russel,

Perhaps you should get hold of a drum machine with a lot of preset beats. I can thoroughly recommend getting a DR-660 or perhaps even a DR-770 both manufactured by Roland/Boss. I use a DR-660 for setting up beats and then (by midi) triggering better samples and loops in my Ddrum 4 module.... It works perfectly and sounds great! :)

GL,

Nagash

Nagash this one had a lot of presets but during the trial and error period I lost them. I have got enough in there now to do about a two hour show but still hungry for more than that. I have a wide taste in music and just a few won't due.. thanks for the input it is the story of my life to buy then find out there is something better out there.. I have several hundred patterns in a book but hard to come up with that certain sound if you know what I mean. I have rather enjoyed putting the standard ones back in has given me a new regard for a drummer.

Archived